Mariana helps clients achieve their business objectives by developing action plans and executing outreach efforts to maximize engagement with the Administration, Federal legislators, regulators, and the Council of the District of Columbia. She actively monitors policy developments, alerts clients of relevant information, and supports client agendas through tailored strategy sessions, research and writing, and planning and orchestration of Hill days.
Mariana also provides bilingual (Spanish) assistance to the ArentFox Schiff Pro Bono Committee with civil rights advocacy initiatives locally and at the US-Mexico border. She worked on the Support Immigrant Families Initiative, which provided pro bono services to immigrant families detained at the border and won the Marc L. Fleischaker Award in 2019.
*Mariana is not a member of the legal practice.
Mariana’s recent representative matters include:
- Supporting an association client in advocacy efforts pertaining to COVID Relief Funding, including the Heroes Act, HEALS Act, CARES Act, and annual appropriations legislation regarding Federal Transit.
- Provided proactive policy analysis on micromobility, autonomous vehicles, Vision Zero, and ridesharing.
- Advocated for reauthorization of the Teaching Health Centers Graduate Medical Education (THCGME) program.
- Assisted an association client in advocacy on cosmetics modernization legislation and implementation of the Lautenberg Chemical Safety for the 21st Century Act.
- Assisted a biotech firm by monitoring and advocating for legislation related to cancer screening technology.
- Provided proactive policy analysis on food security and anti-poverty programs in the Heroes Act, HEALS Act, CARES Act, and Presidential budget.
- Assisted a biotechnology manufacturer and the confectionery products industry on advocacy efforts concerning trade enforcement policies and tariffs.
Mariana previously served in both the State and Capitol Hill offices for Senator Patty Murray (D-WA). In Washington state, she worked with the State Department of Health, Insurance Commissioner, Labor & Industries, Superintendent’s office, Transportation, Social and Health Services, other institutions, and nonprofits. While in the DC office, she was the primary point of contact for constituents to help them understand the nuances of Congress, the Executive Branch, and the DC government.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Mariana’s publications include:
- “Senate Finance Committee Holds Confirmation Hearing For Top Biden HHS Nominees,” Arent Fox Alert, Co-Author, April 16, 2021
- “New Federal Funds Lead to D.C. Budget Delays,” Arent Fox Alert, Co-Author, April 12, 2021
- “USDA Secretary Nominee Receives Unanimous Support by Senate Agriculture Committee, Heads Swiftly to Full Senate for Vote,” Arent Fox Alert, Co-Author, February 5, 2021
Life Beyond the Law
In her spare time, Mariana enjoys hiking, traveling, and learning new languages. She also enjoys learning about other cultures through music and cooking.