Smart In Your World
Real estate development is a core strength of ArentFox Schiff. We combine experience, skill, and business judgment when providing advice to developers, investors, lenders, property managers, architects, contractors, and other parties in the development of real estate in the United States and across the globe.
We pride ourselves in staffing matters leanly to maximize efficiency—there are no more lawyers working on any given transaction than necessary to get the job done right.
ArentFox Schiff has been involved in a large number of real estate development projects all over the world across a number of industries. The following asset class list and representative transactions provide a glimpse into the depth and breadth of our development practice.
- Data Centers
- Senior Living
- Sports projects
- Quadrangle Development in the development of the new $520 million, 1,175-room Washington Convention Center Headquarters Hotel.
- Marriott International in the development of Marriott’s new Edition brand hotels in Manhattan (Clock Tower Building) and the Seville Beach Hotel in Miami Beach.
- An institutional majority equity investor in the development, financing, and construction of more than 10 different industrial/warehouse projects located in or near major cities in California, Texas, and Georgia, including related joint venture work.
- Osage Bio Energy in the acquisition of a site in Hopewell, VA, for the development of a fuel-grade ethanol plant with a capacity of 65 million gallons per year, including settling pending litigation, negotiating a development agreement with the City of Hopewell, and obtaining an equity commitment from First Reserve Corporation.
- Sunrise Senior Living on the negotiation of development, joint venture, management, and financing agreements related to more than 100 assisted and independent living properties (located in 21 states and valued at over $1 billion in the aggregate) comprising eight portfolios involving six separate joint venture partners and several different construction lenders.
- Forest City Ratner Companies in the development of Spruce Tree Condominium/ Beekman Tower, a $680 million, 76-story condominium tower in Lower Manhattan—the tallest residential building in New York City and designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry. The building will contain a pre-K through 8th grade public school, an ambulatory care facility, residential apartments, ground-floor retail space, parking, and adjacent public plazas.
- Arena Stage, the largest theater dedicated to American playwrights, on the design and construction of a $135 million overhaul of its existing facility, including the related public and private financing
- A Washington, DC-based developer on the development and construction of MedImmune, Inc.’s $88 million state-of-the-art research and development facility and worldwide corporate headquarters, covering 750,000 square feet on 22 acres in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Silver Diner, Inc. in the development of Silver Diner restaurants across the Mid-Atlantic.
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) in the assembly and acquisition of a site, the engagement of architects, developers, and several other professionals, to develop an approximately 300,000sf mixed-use building in Washington DC to be used primarily as AAMC’s headquarters.
- ThinkFoodGroup LLC in connection with the development of José Andrés-branded restaurants in Doha, Dorado Beach, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, and Washington, DC.