Our multi-disciplinary team represents clients from a unique perspective, with members having worked on international matters while serving in senior positions throughout all branches of the US government, including as US Ambassador-at-Large, Chairman of the US Foreign Claims Settlement Commission, US Senators, US Congressman, Senior Attorney-Adviser on negotiations of US investment treaties, Senior Counsel at the World Bank’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), and US State Department Counsel in numerous international arbitrations.
We have provided counsel to sovereign clients over a broad range of matters, including public international law, treaty interpretation and negotiation, international arbitration, international trade and investment, energy, tax, intellectual property, real estate, multinational and domestic litigation, transactions, and employment.
Our firm has represented sovereigns from around the world, including in North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Asia. Our ability to serve as effective counsel is enhanced by our vast network of international contacts in foreign governments, foreign corporations, and local law firms.
- Representing Timor-Leste in an international arbitration arising under production sharing contracts and petroleum licenses granted to multinational petroleum corporations
- Representing Timor-Leste in state-state consultations with Australia under the Timor Sea Treaty to resolve dispute relating to provisional arrangement under the Law of the Sea
- Representing an African nation in a state-state maritime boundary arbitration
- Represented Sweden in multimillion dollar commercial suit in US court
- Negotiated settlement of investor-state dispute between international energy company and Asian state concerning termination of and performance under multiple gas licensing agreements
- Counsel to organization of developing countries (g7+ group)
- Advised Indonesia and Egypt on the drafting of its national intellectual property laws
- Representing Greece in a tort action in US federal court involving sovereign immunity defenses
- Advised Mexico on trade policy issues and disputes, including WTO trade disputes and NAFTA trade and investment disputes
- Represented Rwanda in an ICSID investor-State arbitration regarding the alleged expropriation of a tea plantation