Diversity & Inclusion
At ArentFox Schiff, we believe that excellence and diversity go hand in hand.
Diversity produces different perspectives, richer thinking, and more creative solutions to the challenges our clients face. Our firm is committed to seeking and retaining a diverse group of attorneys and staff.
The Diversity & Inclusion Committee includes leaders from across the firm. The Committee’s goal is to help recruit, retain, and promote diverse attorneys while ensuring that adequate firm resources are dedicated to their training, mentoring, and business development efforts.
50% Diverse Lawyers Diverse* lawyers represent 50% of the firm’s attorneys.
37% Women Lawyers Women lawyers represent 37% of ArentFox Schiff attorneys, including 29% of partners.
65% Diverse Summer Associates Since 2018, each of our summer associate classes has been composed of at least 65% diverse law students.
Equity Focused ArentFox Schiff has consistently earned a perfect score of 100 in the Corporate Equality Index by the Human Rights Campaign and continues to be Mansfield Certified.
*We align our definition of “diverse” with Diversity Lab’s Mansfield Rule, which includes women, racial/ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities.
Every year, our BOS, DC, LA, NY, and SF offices award one second-year law student a $20,000 Diversity Scholarship and a salaried position in our Summer Program. The scholarship is paid in two installments: $10,000 during the second-year summer and another $10,000 payable when the student returns to ArentFox Schiff as an Associate after graduation. Candidates may only apply to one office. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
ArentFox Schiff LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- Second-year law student, in good standing, at an ABA-accredited law school in the US
- Excellent college and law school academic performance
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, work experience, and community involvement
- Authorized to work in the US
- Member of a diverse population that historically has been underrepresented in the legal profession
- Must join the ArentFox Schiff Summer Program after their second year of law school
- Have a strong interest in joining the Firm as an associate after law school graduation
Required Applications Materials
- Completed electronic Diversity Scholarship Application (you can only apply to one office)
- Personal Essay (one page single or double spaced): Shirley Chisholm famously said, ‘if they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair.’ One of Harvey Milk’s best-known quotes is, ‘rights are won only by those who make their voices heard.’ What would be your personal quote, and how does it describe and relate to your experience as a diverse person?
- Undergraduate Transcript (unofficial is accepted)
- Law School Transcript
- Legal Writing Sample (5-10 pages, single or double spaced). Must be exclusively your own work. The sample may be from your legal writing course in law school.
- Contact information of three professional or academic references. (Letters of recommendation are optional.)
This year, the firm will award five minority law students with a Diversity Scholarship and a salaried position in the firm’s summer associate program.
Please contact our Attorney Recruitment Department: