Alexander B. Young
Alex counsels public companies, private companies, private equity firms, and mezzanine and other investors on their day-to-day corporate activities and guides them through mergers and acquisitions, securities disclosure and compliance matters, securities offerings, corporate governance and board matters, and equity investments.
Alex works closely with clients to address the many legal, regulatory, and business challenges they face on a day-to-day basis. He takes the time to learn and understand his clients’ businesses from the inside out to ensure maximum effectiveness and the highest level of service. Clients benefit from his exceptional level of commitment to their success, which is reflected in the strong, lasting relationships he has built as an integral member of client teams.
Alex brings a practical approach to his counseling. He stays focused on the long-term goals of his clients while carefully navigating the various steps along the way.
Alex’s interdisciplinary practice allows him to work closely with all of the other practice groups at ArentFox Schiff. His ability to identify the needs of his clients allows him to efficiently collaborate with professionals who can maximize his effectiveness as legal counsel.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Alex has represented numerous parties in acquisitions and dispositions, including public companies, private companies, private equity funds, family offices, and individuals. Representative matters include:
- Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. in its $425 million investment transactions with an affiliate of Searchlight Capital Partners and related company debt refinancing
- The Sandner Group in the sale of Brokers’ Risk and its operating entities to One80 Intermediaries
- Adolph Kiefer & Associates, LLC in the acquisition of The Lifeguard Store
- HVR Software Inc. in a $51 million investment in the company by Level Equity
- Altaris Capital Partners in connection with its take-private acquisition of Analogic Corporation for approximately $1.1 billion
- The Randolph Group in the sale of its Vandor business to Bioworld Merchandising
- Central Steel and Wire Company in the sale of the company to an affiliate of Ryerson Holding Corporation for approximately $151 million
- Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. in the acquisition of FairPoint Communications, Inc. – the public company all-stock transaction was valued at approximately $1.3 billion, including debt
- Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. in the sale of its Enterprise Services equipment and IT Services business
- Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. in the sale of its subsidiary Consolidated Communications of Iowa Company
- Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. in the acquisition of Champaign Telephone Company and its sister company, Big Broadband Services
- Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. in the acquisition of Enventis Corporation – the public company transaction involved a cash purchase price of approximately $258 million, exclusive of debt
- Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. in the acquisition of SureWest Communications – the public company transaction involved a cash and stock purchase price of approximately $324 million, exclusive of debt
- The Randolph Group and other owners of Weiman Products, LLC in the sale of the company to the Cortec Group, a New York City-based private equity firm
- The Randolph Group and other owners of Arens Controls Company, LLC in the sale of 100 percent of the membership interests in Arens for $98 million in cash to NYSE-listed Curtis-Wright Corporation
- Precourt Sports Ventures LLC in the acquisition of the operating rights to the Columbus Crew Major League Soccer franchise – under the agreement, the Columbus Crew became part of the privately held investment and management firm’s sports and entertainment business enterprise
He has advised issuers in registered public offerings, Rule 144A sales, and other financing transactions, including representation of Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc. in several notes offerings under Rule 144A and Nevada Power Company in registered notes offerings.
Public Company Representation
He has served as outside securities counsel to several NYSE and Nasdaq-listed public companies, including with respect to their securities disclosure, compliance, board, and governance matters.
He has represented various insurance companies, mezzanine funds, and equity fund sponsors in connection with equity investments in a variety of companies and industries.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- The Annual Meeting of Shareholders, (co-author) BNA Corporate: Practice Series Portfolio No. 12-5th (2009)
- “Letters of Intent and Other Preliminary Considerations,” Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company, Practising Law Institute, Chicago, Ill. (May 20, 2014) (May 19, 2015) (May 20, 2015) (May 16, 2017) (Jun. 6, 2018) (Jun. 5, 2019)
- The Legal 500 United States – M&A/Corporate and Commercial: M&A – Middle-Market (Sub-$500m) (2016-2021)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin’s Illinois Leading Lawyers Network (2017-2021)
- IFLR1000 Notable Practitioner – Corporate and M&A (2018)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, Georgetown Immigration Law Journal, Member, 2000Northwestern University, MA, Political Science, 1997Johns Hopkins University, BA, with honors, 1995