Bruce P. Weisenthal
He provides a fresh, creative and practical approach to his practice, which has earned him loyal clients and a track record of success.
Bruce’s practice encompasses all aspects of public finance — including serving as borrower’s, issuer’s and trustee’s counsel — so he understands the process inside out. He is able to quickly identify pragmatic solutions and bridge diverse opinions, which allows his clients to achieve their goals efficiently and effectively.
To best serve his clients, Bruce has adapted his practice throughout his career, adding different dimensions and capabilities. He built extensive experience handling housing revenue bonds before expanding to trustee counsel work and asset securitization, railcar financing and bankruptcy work. “An exceptional lawyer changes his focus with the tide,” he says. Bruce’s practice has evolved from a foundation as a bond lawyer into a more general advisory role, as reflected in his position as general counsel of a leading manufacturer of consumer products.
Bruce served on the firm’s Executive Committee for 17 years, taking a break when a change in the partnership agreement instituted term limits. He was re-elected to the Executive Committee in 2020. He attributes that long run to his ability to maintain credibility with his partners. “I’m a straight shooter,” he says, “For my firm, I strive to understand our place in a changing marketplace. My clients rely on me to do the same for them.”
Bruce has been instrumental in the development and continued achievements of numerous Chicagoland cultural, sports and educational institutions. Significant examples include:
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company as borrower’s counsel in connection with its bond financing for a new location.
- Chicago’s primary PBS member television station, WTTW, as counsel in connection with the station’s financing of HDTV broadcasting updates.
- The Chicago Bears on public finance for the construction of the renovated Solider Field.
- The University of Chicago as outside counsel on tax-exempt bond financings and other finance matters.
- The Museum of Science and Industry as borrower’s counsel in connection with various matters.
- A commercial bank in connection with bond trustee work.
- Serving as bond counsel on numerous Illinois Finance Authority and City of Chicago financings.
- Various municipal special purpose financings, including water, wastewater and tax increment financings.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Form Indenture, (Drafting Committee) National Association of Bond Lawyers (First Edition, 2000)
- “The Role of Issuer’s Counsel in a Bond Issue,” (panelist) The National Association of Bond Lawyers: The Workshop, Chicago, Ill. (Sep. 13, 2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers (2024)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin's Illinois Leading Lawyers Network (2006-2021)
- Top 100 Real Estate-Related Lawyers, Law Bulletin's Illinois Leading Lawyer's Network (2012)
- Peer Reviewed AV® Preeminent™, Martindale-Hubbell (since 2004)
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- University of Wisconsin Political Science Board of Visitors
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Nominating Committee, Former Member
- Trust and Trustee Issues Committee, Past Chair