Chris L. Bollinger
Chris concentrates his practice on matters relating to intellectual property transactions and licensing, including contracts and matters involving trademark and copyright, technology law, e-commerce, and computer and Internet law.
His prior experience as a software engineer informs his legal practice and allows Chris to provide his clients with in-depth and nuanced advice on a wide range of technology, IP, compliance and “e” related issues. Chris crafts legal and business solutions to fit the rapidly evolving and increasingly complex digital marketplace—and the unique needs of his clients.
In addition to his work with hardware, software, financial, and technology companies, Chris provides guidance to corporate clients across the business spectrum, including many in the manufacturing, consumer product, energy, telecom, medical device, biotech, electronic, and industrial service sectors.
- Licensing: Drafting and reviewing agreements for the licensing and transfer of patents, copyrights, and trademarks. Advising on complex licensing issues for joint venture, product development, and joint development arrangements.
- E-Commerce & Internet: Advising clients on compliance, electronic contracting, social media, and e-commerce issues, including reviewing/auditing client websites. Drafting and negotiating agreements relating to web services, cloud computing, website development, and hosting, including Service Level Agreements.
- Software & Services: Drafting and negotiating agreements relating to the development, transfer and licensing of hardware and software technology. Counseling clients on complex software-related issues, including issues relating to open source software, Software as a Service (SaaS) agreements, and ASP arrangements. Extensive experience with consulting services agreements and contracts relating to the development and implementation of software systems.
- Data & Technology: Drafting and reviewing agreements relating to data transfer, data protection, and the procurement of information technology resources. Experience in preparing confidentiality and distributor agreements, data and content licenses, API agreements, telecom agreements, strategic alliance agreements, and research and development agreements.
- Transactions: Providing advice on the intellectual property aspects of mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances and joint ventures, and the commercialization and transfer of intellectual property. Extensive experience directing and conducting intellectual property due diligence for large corporate transactions.
- Media & Merchandising: Negotiating consumer product licensing, merchandising, and promotional agreements involving famous brands and characters. Experience working with a variety of major consumer product, media, and entertainment companies.
- Advertising: Counseling clients on issues relating to advertising law, rights of publicity, ad clearance, sweepstakes, and contests. Negotiating promotion agreements for the use of celebrity likenesses and endorsements, including social media influencer contracts and branding guidelines. Experience drafting rules for promotions conducted on Facebook®, Twitter®, and Instagram®, and Pinterest®.
- Copyright and Content Development: Providing advice on publishing and content issues, including drafting and negotiating publishing and content distribution agreements. Counseling clients with respect to copyright issues involving websites and user-generated content, including issues relating to screen scraping and online contests.
- Privacy: Advising clients on privacy issues involving contracts and transactions. Crafting website privacy policies. Negotiating agreements with data vendors and processors to address data security issues and privacy law requirements.
- Trademark & Prosecution: Counseling clients regarding the adoption of brands and trademark clearance. Preparing and prosecuting trademark applications.
- FinTech: Advising clients on blockchain issues and negotiating agreements for use of blockchain technology.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Speeches & Presentations
- “Intellectual Property Protection for Software,” Schiff Hardin Conference (Dec. 2016)
- “Intellectual Property Considerations for Design Firms,” Schiff Hardin Conference (Jun. 2015)
- “Managing Cyberrisk and Measures to Ensure Data Security,” Schiff Hardin 2014 Financial Services Regulation Roundtable (Sep. 2014)
- “In the Cloud: Seeking a Clearer View of Cloud Computing,” Schiff Hardin Webinar (Feb. 2011)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin's Illinois Leading Lawyers Network (2009-2021)
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, Section of Intellectual Property Law (IP Transactions & Licensing Committee, Software & Cloud Computing Committee), Section of Science & Technology Law (E-Privacy Law Committee)
- Chicago Bar Association, Computer Law Section
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
University of Michigan Law School, JD, cum laude, 1992University of Michigan, BS, Electrical Engineering, magna cum laude, 1989