Elliott M. Kroll
Elliott represents clients nationally and internationally in all major areas of the insurance industry spanning the life and nonlife areas including property and casualty, aviation/space, accident, and health. In addition, he has in-depth experience with premium financing, captives, financial and structured reinsurance transactions, and regulatory representation.
Elliott has served as an officer and director for several major insurers and reinsurers. He has significant experience in the financial reinsurance arena and is intimately familiar with regulatory, tax, and commercial components of complex insurance and reinsurance transactions and handling mergers and acquisitions.
His practice includes the formation of insurers including protected cell captives, commutations, offshore captive arrangements, assumption-novation transactions, representation of agents and brokers, intermediaries, internal investigations, compliance, and records retention protocols.
In his 43 years of practice, Elliott has served as lead counsel in more than 100 reinsurance disputes including some of the most significant industry issues. Prior reinsurance arbitration and litigation experience has included insolvency issues, asbestos/environmental allocation, and disputes involving managing agents and brokers.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Elliott was the chair of the Insurance and Reinsurance Practice Group at a New York law firm.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Elliott’s recent presentations and publications include:
"AM Best's Briefing - Ratings Perspective on Non-Catastrophe ILS," AM Best, June 3, 2022
- "Reinsurers tackle risk transfer, M&A activity as litigation issues evolve," Business Insurance, October 27, 2015
- “BLAW Q&A,” Bloomberg Law Reports – Commercial Insurance; March 5, 2012
- “BLAW Q&A,” Bloomberg Law Reports – Commercial Insurance; February 6, 2012
- “Limits Of Liability In Excess Liability Programs,” Law 360; September 2011
- “Long Term Impact of Recent Court Rulings,” Arent Fox Seminar; May 18, 2011
- Life Insurance Settlement Association Spring Conference, Life Insurance Settlement Association; May 2009
- “Minimizing the Impact of STOLI: Assessing Regulatory and Industry Approaches to Curbing Investor-Initiated Life Insurance,” American Conference Institute; January 2009
- “The Latest Developments in Litigation and its Impact on your Business,” Life Settlements Conference, DealFlow Media; September 2008
- “Ensuring Compliance with the Regulatory Paradigm Governing Capital Market Reinsurance Instruments,” Reinsurance Regulation: Adapting to Emerging Regulatory Frameworks in a Global Market, American Conference Institute; June 2008
Life Beyond the Law
Elliott is an avid cyclist and takes advantage of cultural events in New York.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Pennsylvania Bar
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
University of California, Hastings College of the Law, JD, 1977Bard College, BA, 1974