James M. Lyle
Jim has extensive experience in the representation of institutional lenders, REITs and developers concerning construction and permanent financings, joint ventures, sale/leaseback transactions, multi-state commercial loan transactions, debt restructurings/workouts, and commercial sales/acquisitions. Jim frequently represents parties involved in commercial leases and advises clients with respect to a variety of zoning and land use matters. His clients include prominent landlords and investors with significant holdings in the Back Bay and throughout the City of Boston.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Jim was the co-founder and managing general partner of a general contracting and property management firm specializing in the renovation, rental and resale of historic and architecturally significant residential properties. He held a similar position with a company he co-founded while in college to service the maintenance and painting needs of large apartment complexes which survives today under the direction of Jim’s former partner. Jim was previously a Partner and longtime Co-Chair of the Real Estate Department at Posternak Blankstein & Lund LLP.
- Represents a number of clients in the warehouse/distribution industry.
- Completed a $55 million sale/leaseback of client's Massachusetts Distribution Center.
- Currently representing client in similar sale/leaseback if its Nort Shore industrial headquarters facility.
- Represents Frazer Capital and Centremark Properties as lead real estate counsel on their acquisitions, financings and leasing transactions throughout New England.
- Regularly represents C. Talanian Realty Co. in its financings, leasing and development transactions.
- Represented Frazer Capital in its $91 million disposition of its “Back Bay Portfolio”.
- Represented Centremark Properties in the $31.5 million disposition of its Blackstone Square complex in Cambridge, MA.
- Regularly represents Barrett Distribution Centers, Inc. regarding its industrial leases throughout the United States.
- Represented various shopping center owners in their retail leasing transactions, including leases with Stop & Shop, DSW, and numerous chain stores.
- Represented publicly traded REIT in numerous acquisitions and sale-leasebacks of various health care facilities throughout New England.
- Represented BJ’s Wholesale Club in a number of leasing transactions throughout the United States.
- Currently involved in the acquisition and re-development of historic property located in Boston’s “Piano Row”.
Awards & Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers in 2024
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer in every year from 2012 – 2018
Boards & Memberships
Jim is a member of the Board of Trustees of St. Mary's High School in Lynn, MA. He is also the Chair of the school's Finance Committee.