Jon K. Jurva
In addition, Jon represents general partners in the formation and operation of a variety of private investment funds and funds of funds. During his work with general partners and limited partners, he has advised clients on numerous matters relating to the operation of private investment funds, including key person events, management transitions and other significant events. Jon calls on his experience in representing both general partners and limited partners to help clients craft workable solutions to resolve such matters.
He also regularly advises private and public companies on mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions.
Jon has counseled a wide variety of start-up ventures through their initial organization and fundraising.
Clients appreciate Jon’s reasoned and pragmatic approach to guiding transactions to closing while closely protecting their interests.
Jon’s representative transactions include:
- Advised family offices with respect to the formation of real estate fund and secondary fund.
- Representation of a mezzanine fund in the formation of its third fund, which raised $558 million from investors that included domestic and international pension funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations, consultants, and family offices.
- Continuing representation of a Chicago-based investment manager with respect to the formation of private equity funds of funds, including negotiations with a wide variety of public pension funds, and the ongoing operation of those funds of funds.
- Representation of investment manager in sale of stakes in related general partner and management company.
- Representation of institutional investors in connection with removal of a general partner of a private equity fund.
- Representation of institutional investors in secondary transactions.
- Representation of institutional investors in co-investment transactions.
- Representation of investment professionals in the formation of a long-short equity hedge fund.
- Representation of prominent institutional investors as limited partners in numerous domestic and international private equity, venture capital, real estate, and hedge fund investments.
- Representation of an investment manager in connection with registering with the SEC as an investment adviser.
- Representation of an investment adviser during an SEC compliance inspection and examination.
- Representation of a Washington, D.C.-based investment manager in the formation of a hedge fund.
- Representation of a public company in the distribution industry with respect to a series of acquisitions of competitors throughout the United States.
- Representation of a privately wine distributor in an acquisition of a beer distributor in Oregon from a publicly held company.
- Representation of a subsidiary of a publicly traded company in the gaming industry in a $200 million acquisition of energy project assets.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
"2023 Priorities for SEC Division of Examinations," ArentFox Schiff Alert (Feb. 15, 2023)
"SEC Adopts New Marketing Rule for Investment Advisors," ArentFox Schiff Alert (Nov. 7. 2022)
"SEC Proposes New Oversight Requirements for Certain Services Outsourced by Investment Advisors," ArentFox Schiff Alert (Nov. 3. 2022)
- “SEC - CFTC Joint Proposed Amendments Introduce Enhanced Private Fund Reporting Requirements,” ArentFox Schiff Alert (Aug. 19. 2022)
- “First-of-a-Kind Crypto Insider Trading Prosecution: SEC-v-Wahi et al Action May Have Broad Implications Across the Digital Asset Space,” ArentFox Schiff Alert (Aug. 9, 2022)
- “Scrapped Paper: SEC Adopts New Electronic Filing Requirements for Investment Advisers,” ArentFox Schiff Alert (Jul. 6, 2022)
- “SEC Charges Private Equity Adviser for Undisclosed Disproportionate Allocation of Transaction Expenses to Advised Fund,” ArentFox Schiff Alert (Jun. 22, 2022)
- “SEC Proposes Rule Updates Intended to Prevent Misleading or Deceptive Fund Names,” ArentFox Schiff Alert (Jun. 16, 2022)
- “SEC Proposes New Disclosure and Reporting Requirements Concerning ESG for Advisors and Registered Investment Funds,” ArentFox Schiff Alert (Jun. 7, 2022)
- "16th Annual Emerging Manager & MWBE Conference," Office of the New York State Comptroller, Albany, NY (Feb. 17, 2023)
- “Nordics Navigating New Norms & Numbers,” Nordic Consulates in Chicago, Webinar (Mar. 19, 2021)
- “Entering the U.S. Market: A Legal Overview for Swedish Companies,” Schiff Hardin, Webinar (Sep. 28 - 29, 2020)
- “Getting off to a Great Start: Commonly Negotiated PE Fund Terms,” Chicago Private Equity Forum, Chicago, IL (May 4, 2016)
- “Commonly Negotiated Private Equity Fund Terms,” (presenter), Muller & Monroe Asset Management’s Back Office Exchange, Chicago, IL (Oct. 11, 2014)
- “Institutional Limited Partners Association Private Equity Principles: A Guide for Improving GP/LP Relations,” (co-presenter) Muller & Monroe Asset Management’s Back Office Exchange, Chicago, IL (Oct. 14, 2011)
- “Dodd-Frank’s Impact on Investment Adviser Registration: What Does It Mean for You?,” (co-presenter), Schiff Hardin LLP Webinar (Apr. 13, 2011)
- “Dodd-Frank’s Impact on Private Equity Funds and Other Recent Legal Developments,” Muller & Monroe Asset Management’s Back Office Exchange, Chicago, IL (Nov. 2, 2010)
- “Placement Agents Panel Discussion,” (panelist) Muller & Monroe Asset Management's Back Office Exchange, Chicago, IL (Oct. 2, 2009)
- “Alternative Investments in the Aftermath of the Credit Crisis,” American College of Investment Counsel, 2009 Annual Spring Investment Forum, Chicago, IL (Apr. 23, 2009)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin’s Illinois Leading Lawyers Network (2017-2021)
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- American Bar Association, Institutional Investors Committee
- Finland’s Honorary Consul in Chicago
- Midwest Chapter of the Finnish American Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Foundation Board of Lutheran Child and Family Services of Illinois, Board of Directors
- Jon has devoted hundreds of hours to pro bono advocacy. He recently represented Horizon Hospice & Palliative Care, Inc. in its merger with JourneyCare, Inc. and Midwest Palliative & Hospice CareCenter. He earlier represented Lake Forest Symphony Association, Inc. in a transaction with Music Institute of Chicago.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
University of Michigan Law School, JD, 1999Fulbright Scholar - Brazil, 1994University of Michigan, AB, with distinction, 1991