Matthew R. Bentley
Matthew's practice includes the representation of debtors, financial guarantors, indenture trustees, creditors and shareholders in Chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Matthew worked as a judicial clerk to the Hon. Robert D. Drain, United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, and the Hon. Mary Kay Vyskocil, United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York. He also served as an intern to the Hon. John K. Sherwood, United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey.
Prior to law school, Matthew served as a firefighter in the United States Air Force, Illinois Air National Guard.
Matthew’s client work includes:
- Represents Wilmington Savings Fund Society, FSB as administrative agent under the secured exit facilities in the chapter 11 cases of GTT Communications and its subsidiaries.
- Represents CQS (UK), LLC in the chapter 11 cases of Talen Energy and its subsidiaries.
- Represents UMB Bank as agent under Quorum Health’s chapter 11 exit facility.
- Representation of Quabbin Capital in the Chapter 15 case of Universal Enterprises, Ltd.
- Representation of GPB Capital Holdings in the Insightra Medical, Inc. Chapter 11 case.
Matthew’s published works include:
- Awarded, "Best of ABI 2022: The Year in Business Bankruptcy," American Bankruptcy Institute, May 2023
- Co-Author, "After the Green Rush: Bankruptcy Alternatives for Restructuring Cannabis Businesses," Cannabis Business Executive (February 15, 2023)
- Co-Author, "2nd Circ. Ruling Offers Ch. 11 Guidance In A Post-Siegel World," Law360 (December 16, 2022)
- Co-Author "Global Debt Crisis Fuels Instability in Emerging Markets," ABI Journal, Vol. 41 (December 2022)
- “The Texas Two-Step: a Problematic Reframing of the Bankruptcy Code Toolkit or an Equitable Solution for Productive Conglomerates and their Mass Tort Claimants?,” Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, Vol. 31, Issue 2 (April 2022)
- “When the Music Stops: The Texas Two-Step and Forecasting Its Future Application,” ABI Journal, Vol. 12 (December 2021)
Matthew is a member of the:
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Federal Bar Council
He also participates as a judge in the preliminary rounds of the annual Conrad B. Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
St. John's University School of Law, LLM, BankruptcyUniversity of Illinois, College of Law, JDSouthern Illinois University Edwardsville, BS