Michelle A. Cooke
Michelle co-leads the firm’s Media & Entertainment industry team, which advises some of the world’s top movie studios, television producers and broadcasters, music services, and a range of multimedia developers and publishers.
Michelle is also a thought leader in Digital Rights Creation – the expansion of established and emerging brands in existing and developing mediums such as the metaverse and Web 3.0. She works with CEOs and senior executives – particularly from companies operating in the media and entertainment, consumer products, and software industries – to develop dynamic global brand and content strategies. Michelle is nationally ranked and recognized by numerous organizations for her work with intellectual property owners to establish, expand, and optimize brands and plan for content development, as well as enforce and protect these assets.
For IP owners and content creators, Michelle negotiates licensing, distribution, and development agreements and structures guidelines and internal policies to govern the creation and use of IP, social media activity, user-generated content, and personal data. She guides the sale and acquisition of international IP rights, runs IP audits, and builds and manages trademark and copyright portfolios. She protects these IP rights with a robust and international policing and enforcement practice.
Regarding digital assets (including NFTs), Michelle’s work focuses on counseling clients on digital content, trade secrets, technology, and privacy/data. In these instances, she evaluates and guides internal and external policies and procedures on the use, development, and distribution of content, as well as the collection, use, transfer, maintenance, and protection of privacy and data. Michelle knows how industries are taking advantage of IP owners’ rights on multimedia platforms and in the metaverse.
Representative matters include:
- Represents a multimedia and international entertainment company with multiple brands on international IP establishment of rights and protection for computer and online games; online distribution of film, television, and original content; downloads; applications; and more.
- Represented a major fashion house in the licensing of their first NFT.
- Led the analysis and risk assessment of a trademark portfolio, copyright portfolio, and online/multimedia assets spanning over 50 countries in a $1.3 billion acquisition in an entertainment-related industry.
- Advised a multimedia company in its acquisition of a cable television station, which included an extensive IP portfolio of trademarks, online content, and related agreements.
- Assisted an entertainment company in expanding into a multimedia platform, including television and an interactive online presence.
- Assisted multiple celebrity fashion designers in establishing, protecting, and enforcing brands internationally.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Panelist, “Into the Metaverse: Challenges and Opportunities in This Booming Market,” Digital Media Wire’s Annual LA Games Conference (May 10, 2022)
- Ranked, Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (California), Chambers USA, 2014–2022
- Named as one of the Most Influential Minority Attorneys, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2016, 2019–2022
- Bronze Ranking, California: Enforcement and Litigation, World Trademark Review 1000, 2017–2022
- Silver Ranking, California: Prosecution and Strategy, World Trademark Review 1000, 2013–2022
- Named as one of the Most Influential Women Lawyers, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2017, 2019–2022
- Named in Top Intellectual Property Attorneys in California, Daily Journal, 2015–2022
- Featured, “Leaders Of Influence: Minority Attorneys,” Los Angeles Business Journal, January 24, 2022.
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property, 2009–2020
- Ranked, Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (USA), Chambers Global, 2016–2018
- Named as one of the Most Influential Black Lawyers, Savoy Magazine, 2015, 2018
- Named in Top Women Lawyers in California, Daily Journal, 2017
- Named as one of the Most Influential Intellectual Property Lawyers, Los Angeles Business Journal, 2017
In The News
Michelle has been quoted by major national news outlets and agencies, including Bloomberg Law and Law360.
First NFT Trademark Trial Pits Hermès Against MetaBirkin Artist, Bloomberg Law (January 27, 2023)
ArentFox Schiff Launches Metaverse Enforcement Team, Law360 (January 5, 2023)
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- Board of Directors, Los Angeles World Affairs Council & Town Hall
- Board of Directors, Jack Daniel’s Properties, Inc.
- Intellectual Property Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles