Oscar A. Figueroa
Oscar is a results-oriented litigator with broad experience representing clients of all sizes in California superior courts and federal district courts throughout the country. Oscar is trial-tested and has been involved in complex litigation matters from pre-litigation investigations through trial. Oscar is an assertive and prepared advocate when necessary, but also a peacemaker when it better serves a client’s needs and has negotiated dozens of settlement agreements on favorable terms both informally and through mediation.
A sampling of Oscar’s experience includes:
- Being part of a litigation team obtaining a jury award for willful trademark infringement and punitive damages in a two-week jury trial against one of the largest sports apparel companies in the world.
- Being part of a litigation team defending one of the largest PC companies in the world in multiple patent litigations against non-practicing entities that were favorably resolved without any payment from the client.
- Obtaining full dismissal through a motion to dismiss for a third-party payroll and human resources provider in a consolidated class action concerning an alleged data breach.
- Obtaining a favorable non-monetary dismissal of a trademark infringement and trade secret case on behalf of a food company accused of stealing a competitor’s product name and recipe.
- Obtaining a consent judgment on behalf of a popular luxury candy retailer where defendant admitted liability for copying the client’s intellectual property and agreed to a multi-million-dollar judgment.
- Obtaining summary adjudication on behalf of a leading online retailer, which led to a nuisance value settlement, in a case where a former employee alleged discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
- Leading copyright enforcement for a major digital music library.
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- Member, Hispanic National Bar Association
- Member, Orange County Hispanic Bar Association
Pro Bono Work
Oscar regularly represents small business owners in ADA disability access matters and low-income tenants in unlawful detainer matters.
Life Beyond the Law
Outside of work, Oscar spends time trying to improve his golf swing. Oscar also enjoys watching UCLA sports and the Los Angeles Rams.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, JD, 2016University of California, Los Angeles, BA, with Honors, UCLA Law Fellow 2010-11, 2011