Richard G. Liskov
Richard is highly experienced in providing strategic advice relating to the regulatory aspects of insurance mergers and acquisitions, financing transactions involving both domestic and cross-border purchases, and dispositions of insurers and reinsurers. His work in this area includes securing all necessary insurance regulatory approvals.
Richard has nearly 40 years of experience representing insurers, reinsurers, producers, and financial institutions. He assists his clients with the process of forming new insurance and reinsurance ventures, including captive insurers, and advises on securing and maintaining all regulatory approvals and licenses to market and sell insurance products. He also provides counsel on new liability exposures and insurance coverage issues.
He regularly advises insurers, financial services firms, and corporate conglomerates on insurance M&A transactions including the purchases and sales of active insurers and reinsurers both domestically and abroad.
He also counsels insurance producers and banking clients on regulatory compliance and assists clients in navigating and responding to regulatory investigations within the insurance sector.
Prior to joining private practice, Richard was a Deputy Superintendent and General Counsel for the New York State Insurance Department, now known as the New York State Department of Financial Services. As part of his government service, he also served as a New York State Assistant Attorney General and Deputy Chief of the Attorney General’s Litigation Bureau where he handled litigation for the Insurance Department and other state agencies.
Richard is a member of the New York City Bar Association’s Insurance Law Committee. He is also an avid lecturer and currently teaches “U.S. Insurance Regulation” at Boston University School of Law as part of the online graduate program in financial services compliance and was appointed to teach a similar online course at Albany Law School in 2020. He was previously a lecturer-in-law and adjunct faculty member at Columbia Law School from 2012 to 2017 where he taught an upper-level seminar in U.S. Insurance Regulation.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- "Commentary: Teach NY students about finances," Times Union (April 23, 2022)
- “Insurer Rebate Laws May Shift Toward Allowing Smart Devices,” Law360 (July 24, 2019)
- “Oklahoma's Insurance Business Transfer Act: Objections Overruled?,” Law360 (October 19, 2018)
- “Treasury’s Latest Financial Power Grab,” Wall Street Journal (October 21, 2013)
- “U.S. Regulation of the Solvency and Insolvency of Alien Multi-National Insurers,” New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, Chapter 103 (September 2013)
- “Insurance Issues for Consumers,” The New York City Bar Association, New York, NY (March 21, 2019)
- The Legal Aid Society Pro Bono Publico Award, Individual Honoree (2019)
- New York Super Lawyers (2007-2009 and 2013-2019)
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US Supreme Court
Columbia Law School, JD, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, 1974Brandeis University, BA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1971