Compliance Counseling & Permitting
We have the capability and experience to handle all aspects of regulatory compliance – from interpreting and assisting with the development of client compliance plans for intricate statutory and regulatory requirements, to assisting clients obtain air, water and waste permits, to responding to government investigations and challenging regulations on behalf of companies. The group’s broad knowledge and robust environmental litigation experience provide clients with a complete perspective to help them avoid and, when needed, resolve compliance matters at all steps of the process.
The Environmental Group routinely handles a maze of federal, state and local compliance, permitting, and regulatory matters throughout the country. We have in-depth experience under the following:
- Clean Air Act (CAA)
- Clean Water Act (CWA)
- Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, & Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)
- Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
- Endangered Species Act (ESA)
- Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act (SMCRA)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA or Superfund)
- Emergency Planning & Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA)
- Related state programs
One-Stop Compliance Shop
Experience in regulatory compliance and permitting is the foundation of the Environmental Group's practice. We understand the challenges created by new rules and changing business demands and we have the vision and experience to help develop and execute compliance plans, including obtaining permits required to construct or change facilities and negotiating with regulators. Our ability to develop and execute compliance plans that minimize red tape and meet our clients’ diverse needs stems from a combination of technical and regulatory experience, government experience, and litigation skills.
The diverse background of our attorneys enables us to respond quickly and competently to client issues that arise in emerging fields like natural gas and renewables. The Environmental Group has significant experience navigating clients through the web of jurisdictional, permitting and legal battles confronted at the federal, state, and local levels in rapidly developing natural gas infrastructure.
The Environmental Group similarly is focused on helping companies comply with ever-changing and growing regulatory requirements by helping to develop and modify as necessary their compliance plans and internal practices and developing operational and record-keeping protocols and internal audit procedures. We also assist clients in responding to, reporting, and remediating environmental releases into groundwater, surface water, and air.
Attorneys within the Environmental Group have practiced before and served within state and federal administrative agencies, including the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the Environmental Control Division of the Illinois Attorney General’s Office, and the Illinois Pollution Control Board. This experience directly benefits our clients and their developing business needs. They also have decades of cumulative experience helping businesses to comply with complex and evolving regulatory requirements in an efficient and cost-effective manner. This experience directly benefits our clients and their compliance and business needs.
Awards & Honors
- Chambers USA
- Energy & Natural Resource, Illinois (2012-2021)
- Environment, Illinois (2012-2021)
- Energy: Electricity (Transactional), Nationwide (2021)
- The Legal 500 U.S. – Practice Groups Recommended (2021)
- Energy Transactions: Conventional Power (2020-2021)
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” – National Tier 1
- Litigation – Environmental (2012-2015 and 2019-2022)
- Energy Law (2013-2022)
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” – Metropolitan Tier 1
- Energy Law, Chicago (2013-2022)
- Environmental Law, Chicago (2012-2022)
- Energy Law, Washington, D.C. (2014-2021)
- Litigation – Environmental, Chicago (2012-2022)
- Related Industries