Fire & Explosion
When your product is cited as a possible cause of a disaster, you need highly qualified investigators, engineers and other professionals to thoroughly investigate and preserve critical physical and testimonial evidence.
We have successfully defended our clients in high-exposure fire and explosion matters across the country. Many have involved catastrophic burn injuries, multiple fatalities, millions of dollars in property damage, business interruption losses, and environmental contamination.
Our goal in every fire and explosion matter is always to avoid litigation by engaging highly respected experts to conduct prompt and thorough scene investigations whose findings can help us dissuade would-be litigants. We have developed a powerful network of fire cause and origin experts, electrical and chemical engineers, and private investigators who can help exonerate our clients’ products and defeat dubious cause and origin theories.
And where fire or explosion matters ultimately result in litigation, our trial skills, extensive knowledge of fire and explosion forensics, and ability to simplify the science of a complex fire scene for a jury lead to successful defenses for our clients.
We have successfully defended the interests of our clients (including some of the world’s largest companies) in fire and explosion matters that have arisen in various contexts, including:
- Industrial explosions and fires
- Natural and propane gas fires and explosions
- Petroleum-based fires and explosions at refineries and distribution facilities
- Consumer appliance and electronic fires
- Volatile chemical and combustible gas explosions
- Industrial equipment fires
- Fires involving automotive components, mattresses, textiles, and other products and materials
In addition, we have substantial experience in the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) and its procedures, requirements and potential penalties, and have significant experience guiding clients with product recalls in conjunction with the CPSC.
Often serving as national product liability counsel for our clients, we help formulate company policies and litigation strategies, conduct facility reviews for fire safety, formulate emergency response programs and manuals, and help to control our clients’ litigation costs. We serve or have served as national counsel for one of the world’s leading suppliers of consumer electronics, one of the world's leading chemical companies, several national and regional utility companies, and several well-known industrial equipment suppliers.
Awards & Honors
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” – National Tier 1
- Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions Law (2013-2022)
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” – Metropolitan Tier 1
- Appellate Practice, Chicago (2014-2022)
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants, Chicago (2012-2022)
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Defendants, New York (2013-2022)
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, San Francisco (2016-2021)