Labor & Employment
Smart In Your World
ArentFox Schiff attorneys negotiate players' contracts, coaches' contracts, key executive contracts, and contracts for related sports personnel and provide counsel on salary cap issues, collective bargaining agreement issues, and other labor issues. We also provide services related to grievances, arbitration, and litigation matters.
- Toronto FC: Representation of Kevin Payne in connection with his move from DC United to President and General Manager of the Toronto FC professional soccer team, a member of Major League Soccer.
- Toronto FC: Representation of Ryan Nelson in connection with his appointment as Head Coach of the Toronto FC professional soccer team, a member of Major League Soccer.
- Toronto FC: Representation of Fran O’Leary in connection with his appointment as Assistant Coach and Director of Player Recruitment of the Toronto FC professional soccer team, a member of Major League Soccer.
- Washington Wizards: Representation of the Washington Wizards in the preparation and negotiation of various player, coaching, and front-office executive contracts; player trades; interpretation of the collective bargaining agreements; salary cap analysis; and related NBA matters and provide advice on various employment law issues. In addition, ArentFox Schiff attorneys represented the Washington Wizards in the employment-related transactions with Michael Jordan, appointing him as president of basketball operations and subsequently transitioning him to serve as a player for the Washington Wizards.
- DC United: Representation of the DC United in connection with player, coaching and executive contracts and related matters and other employment law issues.
- Washington Mystics: Representation of the Washington Mystics in the preparation and negotiation of various player, coaching, and front office executive contracts; interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement; salary cap analysis; and related WNBA matters.
- Charlotte Bobcats: Representation of the Charlotte Bobcats on employment issues, including all initial employment contracts with the management of the team such as the coach and general manager.
- United States Tennis Association: Representation of the USTA with respect to various employment issues, including executive compensation matters.
- Baltimore Arena: Representation of arena operator in OSHA proceedings.
- George Mason Patriot Center: Representation of venue operator in union-management relations.