Adam L. Littman
In his business litigation practice, Adam represents companies and individuals in a wide variety of complex disputes, including those involving business owners, commercial contracts, real estate and corporate transactions, health care providers and payers, non-competition and restrictive covenants, life insurance, fiduciary duties, and trusts and estates. Adam has significant experience in all phases of civil litigation, including pre-litigation strategy, discovery, motion practice, trial, and appeal. He also represents clients in mediations, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings.
Privacy and Data Security
Adam focuses part of his practice on privacy and data security where he works with companies to proactively manage their regulatory obligations and risks from a legal and strategic standpoint. Businesses rely on Adam to advise on compliance with domestic and international consumer privacy laws, including the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA), the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)/California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), and the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), among others. Leveraging his litigation skills, Adam also handles litigation, including class actions, arising out of alleged violations of privacy and data security laws.
In his employment practice, Adam helps employers navigate all kinds of employment-related issues, including severance agreements and wage and hour laws.
- Represented minority shareholders in breach of fiduciary duty, freeze-out, and wrongful termination action, resulting in multi-million dollar jury verdict.
- Represented national foodservice organization in litigation against competitor involving interference with business relations and unfair business practices.
- Represented minority shareholder/chief executive officer in action against majority owner/private equity firm for breach of company operating agreements.
- Led overhaul of privacy compliance program on behalf of international sporting goods retailer and product manufacturer.
- Counseled international company through data security incident, investigation, and recovery of cyber insurance proceeds.
- Represented national retailers in class action cases alleging unlawful collection of consumer data.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer on claims by former employee alleging wage and hour law violations.
- Defended trustees and executors in multi-million dollar action brought against the estate.
Before joining the firm, Adam served as a law clerk to the Justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court where he worked on trials, hearings, and motions in civil sessions, including the Business Litigation Session in Boston. While in law school, Adam was a Note Editor for the Suffolk University Law Review.
Publications & Presentations
- “Illinois Supreme Court Holds That Every Unlawful Biometric Scan or Transmission is Separate BIPA Claim,” The National Law Review (Feb. 21, 2023)
- “Macy’s customer can’t bring class action over data breach,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, November 19, 2020
- “New data breach law raises stakes,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, May 9, 2019
- “MCLE: Chapter 93A Rights and Remedies, Litigation Involving Debtor/Creditor Issues,” 2016, 2019, and 2022 Supplements
- “Cyber-Risk Awareness: Protect Your Business and Your Brand,” Posternak Blankstein & Lund LLP and Fellsway Group, Presentation; February 2018
Awards & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch, Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2022 -2024
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer - Rising Star every year from 2013 – 2018
Life Beyond the Law
Adam is an outdoor enthusiast who enjoys snowboarding, biking, running, hiking, and paddling. Whenever they can, he and his wife spend time in the Berkshires with their son and daughter and their black lab.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Massachusetts Bar
- US District Court, District of Massachusetts
Suffolk University Law School, JD, magna cum laude, 2008University of Maryland, BA, 2003