Alexander S. Birkhold
Alexander advises and supports international organizations to develop and implement effective anti-corruption compliance programs. He also conducts global investigations for international companies, financial institutions, and individuals concerning a wide variety of matters, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), anti-money laundering laws, and securities regulations. He represents clients in connection with SEC investigations and enforcement actions, and individuals and corporations under investigation by the Department of Justice. Alexander also has substantial experience advising boards of directors on corporate governance and anti-corruption matters.
Alexander recently served on the team of a government-appointed independent consultant for one of the world’s largest financial institutions. He reviewed the institution’s existing AML policies and recommended improvements to the corporate governance and compliance programs across Europe, Asia, and North America.
Alexander has also represented clients in a broad range of litigation involving securities laws, the False Claims Act, and unfair competition.
Before joining ArentFox Schiff, Alexander served as a law clerk to the Honorable Percy Anderson of the US District Court, Central District of California.
Alex previously worked as an Associate at an international law firm in its New York office. During law school, Alexander spent a semester working at the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund.
- Independent Member of the Ethics and Grievance Committee for USA Gymnastics
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorist Financing, contributing writer with Karen Van Essen, et al., The Year in Review: An Annual Publication of the ABA/Section of International Law, Vol. No. 52 (2018)
- Predicate Offenses, Foreign Convictions, and Trusting Tribal Courts, Mich. L. Rev. First Impressions (2016).
- Rejecting the Ninth Circuit’s Distrust of Tribal Courts, Native Times, February 26, 2016.
- The Problematic Extraterritorial Reach of U.S Regulators and Nonconventional Securities, 40 Yale J. Int’l L. Online 1 (2015).
- Poking Holes in L.A.’s New Condom Requirement: Pornography, Barebacking, and Speech, 90 Wash. U. L. Rev. 1819 (2013).
- America’s Next Top Model . . . Guidelines, Law á la Mode (2012).
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- New York Bar
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Central District of California
New York University School of Law, JD, 2011Tufts University, BA, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2008