David S. Sattelberger
David concentrates his practice in commercial real estate transactions.
He regularly represents developers, investors, landlords, tenants, and business owners in connection with their real estate interests and on more general commercial matters.
His work frequently involves representing clients in negotiating purchases, sales, and leases for commercial real estate and development projects. He has experience representing buyers and sellers in acquisitions and dispositions of an array of commercial real estate assets, including industrial, retail, mixed use, and residential properties. He also has experience representing clients in financing, zoning, and ground lease transactions.
- Representing a Chicago-area nonprofit in developing numerous parcels of land for commercial and office uses through ground leases.
- Representing a Chicago-based higher education institution in acquiring and developing more than a dozen properties as part of an expansion and redevelopment plan.
- Representing the sponsor in connection with the acquisition and development of, and the eventual sale of, a 300 MW wind farm project in Illinois, including reviewing, drafting, and negotiating project documents (wind leases, crossing agreements, good neighbor agreements, easements, licenses, etc.), reviewing and analyzing title documents and surveys, and negotiating title insurance coverage.
- Representing a for-profit education provider in zoning and leasing matters to establish several alternative high schools in Chicago.
- Representing the sponsor in connection with the acquisition, development, and debt financing (with tax equity bridge loan) of a 121 MW wind farm project.
- Representing a real estate developer in selling and developing hundreds of acres of vacant land in northwest Illinois.
- Representing a lender in connection with the construction/term loan financing of a 70 MW solar project.
- Representing real estate developers in connection with the development and financing of various shopping centers.
- Representing an energy company in connection with the sale of a decommissioned coal-fired power plant.
- Representing a real estate developer in connection with converting a downtown office building into a hotel.
- Advising an industrial supply company in real estate, insurance, and general contracting matters.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- “Allocating Risk in Real Estate Leases: Contractual Indemnities, Additional Insured Endorsements, Subrogation Waivers,” Strafford Live CLE Webinars (Dec. 3, 2019)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin’s Illinois Leading Lawyers Network (2020-2021)
- Emerging Lawyer, Law Bulletin’s Illinois Leading Lawyers Network (2015-2019)
- Illinois Rising Star, Illinois Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2012-2014)
- Honorable Geraldine Soat Brown, U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, Judicial Extern
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- Oregon Bar
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, JD, cum laude, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology Production Editor, 2005University of Arizona, BA, 1999