James D. Cromley
James represents clients before state and federal courts as well as in arbitration and mediation. He is both a trusted advisor and a tenacious advocate.
Prior to joining the firm, James worked with the Civil Litigation Clinic at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, interviewing and counseling clients, conducting discovery, drafting motions, and representing clients through mediation and settlement.
Before attending law school, James served as an Infantry Officer in the United States Marine Corps. He led Marines of the 1st Marine Division on two operational deployments, to countries including Afghanistan, Yemen, Kuwait, and Jordan. Following his overseas service, James was selected to serve as an instructor at the Expeditionary Warfare Training Group – Pacific. As a Captain, he leveraged his own operational experience to prepare senior officers and select foreign partners for their own crisis-response deployments abroad.
James has represented clients in a wide range of pro bono matters including consumer fraud litigation and applications for asylum.
- California Lawyers Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
Life Beyond the Law
James spends his free time visiting craft breweries, perpetually window-shopping for cars, and trying to convince his toddler to please put his shoes on.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
James' recent publications include:
- "UPDATE: Companies Defending Personal Injury or Wrongful Death Suits in Illinois Now Face Prejudgment Interest," June 29, 2021
- "Siting Authority Is Missing Link In Biden Power Line Initiative," Law 360, May 28, 2021
- "The Eleventh Circuit Joins the Majority in Rejecting a Heightened Ascertainability Requirement for Class Actions," May 25, 2021
- "Companies Defending Personal Injury or Wrongful Death Suits in Illinois Will Face Prejudgment Interest If New Bill Becomes Law," March 16, 2021
- "Going Beyond: When Can Courts Look Past the Record in an APA Review?" Georgetown Environmental Law Review, August 15, 2019
- "I Can’t Get No Satisfaction: Illinois Revisits the Standard for Imposing Strict Liability on Nonmanufacturers," July 23, 2019
- "In the Field or in the Courtroom: Redefining the APA’s Military Authority Exception in the Age of Modern Warfare," 51 Arizona State Law Journal 1163, 2019
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- Illinois Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University, JD, magna cum laudeUniversity of Miami, BBA