Jeffrey A. Mitchell
Jeffrey represents both lenders and borrowers in the entire range of debt and equity financing, including construction loans, term loans, secured and unsecured credit facilities, bridge financings, mezzanine loans, A/B loans, loan participations, securitized loan originations and mortgage securitizations, sale/leaseback transactions and project finance.
Jeffrey represents buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of office buildings, shopping centers, multifamily residential properties, hotels and resorts, industrial sites and other commercial and retail properties, as well as purchases and sales of equity interests and other investments in joint ventures and other entities that own real estate.
Jeffrey represents owners and tenants in structuring, drafting and negotiating all manner of leases and subleases, including financeable ground leases, master leases and build-to-suit leases for office buildings, industrial facilities, corporate headquarters, shopping centers, restaurants, other retail leases and a variety of other commercial lease transactions and lease-backs.
Jeffrey represents both lenders and borrowers in connection with loan restructurings and workouts and reorganizations related to distressed debt on real estate.
Jeffrey works closely with developers, owners and equity partners to facilitate the acquisition, development and financing of real property through joint venture relationships, including creating and structuring the form of joint venture through general and limited partnership agreements and limited liability company agreements.
Public Private Partnerships/Development
Jeffrey represents both public and private entities in a wide array of public-private partnership matters, including the acquisition and development of real property, public and private financing of development projects and public-private joint ventures utilizing a variety of transaction structures, including general and limited partnership agreements, limited liability company agreements and ground leases.
Recent examples of Jeffrey’s real estate practice include:
- Negotiating and drafting a development agreement and ground lease for a public-private partnership on behalf of the City of Falls Church, Virginia in connection with a $400,000,000 transit-oriented mixed-use development;
- Negotiating and drafting a ground lease and related contracts for a public-private partnership on behalf of the County of Fairfax, Virginia in connection with the development and construction of an affordable housing senior living facility for county residents;
- Acquisition of a 9,700-acre almond farm for over $300,000,000 through a complex lease and put/call rights structure in Kern County, California;
- Acquisition of a $95,000,000 luxury hotel in Denver, Colorado;
- License of signage rights for NASDAQ in New York, New York of rooftop video signs, video wall, and ticker tape located in Times Square.
Jeffrey’s career in law has spanned 20 years. Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Jeffrey worked at a large full-service firm where he specialized in real estate and real estate financing.
DePaul University College of Law, JD, 1996Northwestern University, BA, 1990