Nicole oversees all aspects of her clients’ legal work by using a multi-disciplinary team approach to coordinate legal services from the many practice areas of the firm.
Her extensive background and experience in representing both for-profit businesses and not-for-profit organizations enables Nicole to counsel her clients on the legal challenges they must address in every aspect of their operations. She is adept at serving as outside general counsel to business owners and senior executives of both emerging and established business organizations.
Nicole’s extensive experience as corporate counsel includes the following:
- Advising members of senior management and boards of directors on corporate governance, operational policies and procedures, risk management, business ethics and internal controls, internal investigations, and regulatory compliance.
- Negotiating and documenting complex domestic and international transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other contractual arrangements.
- Advising clients on the state and federal tax implications of their operations and representing them in contested tax matters.
- Working with members of ArentFox Schiff's Private Clients Trusts and Estates Group to advise owners of multi-generational family businesses on complicated matters relating to the tax-efficient transition of ownership and control.
- Working with members of ArentFox Schiff's Employee Benefits Group to develop, design, and implement qualified and non-qualified executive compensation and benefit plans.
- Working with members of ArentFox Schiff's Environmental Group to develop, design, and implement product sales and facility compliance programs.
- Counseling clients on litigation avoidance and in conjunction with ArentFox Schiff's litigators, participating in all forms of dispute resolution.
- Member, American Bar Association
Publications & Presentations
Nicole has co-authored publications and made presentations on the sale, merger, and acquisition of closely-held businesses, corporate and tax compliance matters, managed care contracts, partnership matters, and succession planning for professional practices.
Nicole has lectured widely on topics of interest to both for-profit and not-for-profit entities. She has made presentations on nonprofit corporate governance and compliance, planned giving, and legal issues in adolescent health care.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US Tax Court
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, JD, cum laude, 1975Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism, BS, Kappa Tau Alpha, 1972