Rachel J. Richardson
With over 20 years of experience, Rachel is a trusted legal advisor to clients in the senior living, hospitality, food, and sports industries on all aspects of complex real estate transactions. Rachel's clients include owners, operators and managers of senior living communities, multi-family residential properties and retail shopping centers. She helps her clients navigate the entire life cycle of their real estate – from acquisition and financing to development and disposition. She also assists her clients in negotiations with joint venture partners.
In addition to her real estate practice, Rachel negotiates sponsorship agreements for clients in the sports industry and handles licensing arrangements for clients in the food industry. With her broad base of experience, Rachel provides a wide array of essential services to her clients.
Some of Rachel's recent matters include representing:
- A national developer and manager of senior living communities in connection with construction loans totaling over $200 million for the following projects:
- 90-unit assisted living facility in Oceanside, California
- an 85-unit assisted living facility in Vienna, Virginia
- a 92-unit assisted living and memory care facility in Orange, CA
- a 103-unit assisted living and memory care facility in Livingston, NJ
- a 110-unit assisted living and memory care facility in Redmond, WA
- an 88-unit assisted living and memory care facility in Franklin Lakes, NJ
- a 90-unit assisted living and memory care facility in Mountain Lakes, NJ
- A prominent New York real estate developer in connection with the put/call financing through i-Star of a $120 million, 233,000 square-foot build-to-suit office building in New Hyde Park for Dealertrack.
- A prominent DC real estate developer in the $167 million sale of a major event venue in Washington, DC.
- DLC Management Corporation and its affiliates in multiple acquisitions, dispositions, and financing of individual shopping centers and shopping center portfolios aggregating approximately $1.75 billion, with an additional 10.3 million square feet of shopping centers acquired in just the last three years.
- A prominent New York real estate developer in connection with a $70 million acquisition and construction financing of the New Village at Patchogue luxury apartment building project.
- A prominent New York real estate developer in the formation of a joint venture with UBS for the construction, development, and financing of the Shipyard in Port Jefferson, NY, a $44 million project that consists of 112 luxury apartments.
- A high-net-worth individual in the $200 million sale of the Irene Apartments, a 525-unit apartment complex in Montgomery County, MD.
- A prominent DC real estate developer in connection with the $400 million sale of the Grand Hyatt Hotel in downtown Washington, DC.
- A prominent New York real estate developer in the first phase of a $600 million Long Island development project that will include 1,450 apartment units and 545,000 square feet of retail and office space. We assisted in the formation of a joint venture with Olayan Group, as well as a $110 million construction loan from Bank of America for the first phase of the project. “Ronkonkoma Hub” is expected to satisfy the unmet needs in the local community, create jobs, facilitate economic expansion, increase tax revenues, and become a destination location for the region.
- Buccini-Pollin Group in connection with the acquisition and financing of its office portfolio, containing approximately six million square feet of office (and some retail) space located predominately in Delaware and Pennsylvania.
Corporate & Commercial
- A global management company in connection with corporate sponsorship agreements spanning over 350 venues.
- Mars, Incorporated in connection with its sponsorship agreement with NASCAR.
- Mars Petcare in connection with its sponsorship of the Flying Fur event at the Flying Pig Marathon.
- The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company in connection with its sponsorship agreement with the Cincinnati Reds.
- Mars Chocolate in connection with its sponsorship of the M&M’S® Opera in the Outfield event with the Kennedy Center.
- The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company in connection with the negotiation of an event sponsorship agreement with a WNBA team.
- The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company in connection with its sponsorship agreement with the Toronto Raptors.
- The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company in connection with its sponsorship of the Bentonville Film Festival.
- Mars, Incorporated in connection with its sponsorship agreement with Joe Gibbs Racing.
- Mars, Incorporated in connection with a naming rights agreement involving a prominent national landmark.
- Mars Chocolate and various Mars Chocolate affiliates in connection with food licensing agreements involving co-branded food products.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Rachel negotiated construction contracts and provided cost engineering services for a national construction company. This work included analyzing the financial performance of large construction projects, including FedEx Field and Capital One Arena (formerly, MCI Center).
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Massachusetts Bar
American University, Washington College of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 2003University of Michigan, BS, actuarial mathematics, 1993