Richard L. Verkler
Dick oversees all aspects of his clients’ legal work by using a multi-disciplinary team approach to coordinate legal services from the many practice areas of the firm.
His extensive background and experience in representing both for-profit businesses and not-for-profit organizations enables Dick to counsel his clients on the legal challenges they must address in every aspect of their operations.
Dick has functioned as a member of the board of directors for a number of his clients. He is adept at serving as outside general counsel to business owners and senior executives of both emerging and established business organizations.
Dick’s extensive experience as corporate counsel includes the following:
- Advising members of senior management and boards of directors on corporate governance, operational policies and procedures, risk management, business ethics and internal controls, internal investigations, and regulatory compliance.
- Negotiating and documenting complex domestic and international transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other contractual arrangements.
- Advising clients on the state and federal tax implications of their operations and representing them in contested tax matters.
- Working with members of ArentFox Schiff's Private Clients Trusts and Estates Group to advise owners of multi-generational family businesses on complicated matters relating to the tax-efficient transition of ownership and control.
- Working with members of ArentFox Schiff's Employee Benefits Group to develop, design, and implement qualified and non-qualified executive compensation and benefit plans.
- Working with members of ArentFox Schiff's Environmental Group to develop, design, and implement product sales and facility compliance programs.
- Counseling clients on litigation avoidance and in conjunction with ArentFox Schiff's litigators, participating in all forms of dispute resolution.
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Lawyers Club of Chicago
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Dick has co-authored publications and made presentations on the sale, merger and acquisition of closely held businesses, corporate and tax compliance matters, partnership matters, and succession planning for professional practices.
Dick has lectured widely to business and professional groups on a variety of topics.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US Tax Court
University of Wisconsin Law School, JD, Knapp Scholar; Articles Editor, Wisconsin Law Review; Order of the Coif, 1962University of Illinois, BS, Illinois State Scholar, 1959