Robert A.H. Middleton
Having represented both plaintiffs and defendants in environmental citizen suits, Robert is skilled at the ins and outs of those proceedings.
To each matter, Robert brings his extensive experience, his dedication to attacking issues from every side, and his devotion to finding a beneficial outcome for his clients.
A fierce advocate for diversity in the legal profession, Robert is an active member of ArentFox Schiff’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee and an outspoken advocate for marginalized groups. He is also a member of ArentFox Schiff’s Law Student Recruitment Committee. Robert is proud to serve as the co-chair of OutFox, ArentFox Schiff’s LGBTQ+ affinity group.
- When the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit took on a case with potentially devastating repercussions for a client, Robert was part of the Schiff Hardin team that crafted an amicus brief for the court. The brief focused the court’s attention on the injustice underlying the appellees’ positions and the dire consequences of acquiescing to the appellees’ requests.
- Robert represents clients in environmental citizen suits – actions brought by private citizens and organizations alleging violations of law – including ongoing litigation against a multinational organization to ensure investigation and, potentially, remediation of a future public park in Brooklyn, New York.
- Robert is always ready to negotiate on behalf of his clients. Robert has extensive experience assisting clients in negotiating agreements to access private property to execute remedial efforts. These negotiations have included everything from simple access agreements to land purchases.
- In his first year of practice, Robert secured a favorable jury verdict for his pro bono client in a landlord-tenant dispute. This bitter dispute afforded Robert the opportunity to single-chair a jury trial and develop invaluable experience in settlement negotiations, motion practice, oral arguments, and client counseling.
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Pathfinder (2020)
- Adjunct Professor, Trial Advocacy – Northwestern University (2021-present)
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
"EPA Places Environmental Justice Front and Center," (co-author) American Bar Association Renewable, Alternative, and Distributed Energy Resources (Apr. 20, 2022)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers (2022-2023)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- US District Court, District of Colorado
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, JD, cum laude, Northwestern Journal of Law and Social Policy, Member Teaching Assistant, Property, 2014Washington University in St. Louis, BA, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2010