Zak’s practice focuses on advising clients on corporate and transactional matters in the sports, entertainment, media, and real estate industries. Zak has considerable experience representing professional sports franchises, owners and operators of professional sports and entertainment venues, sponsors in connection with naming rights transactions, sponsorship transactions, facility and event leasing and licensing, advertising and promotional agreements, suite and club seat licensing, and other related matters.
In addition to his sports and entertainment experience, Zak also advises clients on a broad array of real estate and corporate matters, including leasing and subleasing, acquisitions and dispositions, real estate financing, licenses and easements, title, zoning, and land use matters, affordable housing, rent control compliance issues, entity formation and restructuring, and other related matters. Zak is also a member of ArentFox Schiff’s Blockchain practice group.
Sports and Entertainment
- Representing the Board of Trustees of the California State University, on behalf of its San Diego State University campus, in connection with all naming rights and sponsorship transactions relating to Snapdragon Stadium, the new multipurpose sports and entertainment venue currently under construction on SDSU’s Mission Valley campus that, once completed, will be home to the SDSU Aztecs football team and NWSL’s San Diego Wave FC franchise.
- Representing SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park in numerous major naming rights, sponsorship, suite, and procurement transactions in connection with SoFi Stadium, YouTube Theater, and Hollywood Park (including major sponsorship transactions with American Airlines, Anheuser-Busch, Ball Corporation, Cedars-Sinai, Hyundai, Pechanga Band of Luiseño Indians, PepsiCo, Samsung, Square, Toyota, and Verizon, among others).
- Representing Credit Karma in a multi-year jersey patch sponsorship transaction with the Houston Rockets that highlights the Credit Karma Money platform and makes Credit Karma the Exclusive Jersey Patch Partner of the Houston Rockets and an Official Sponsor of the Houston Rockets and the Toyota Center.
- Representing the Board of Trustees of the California State University, on behalf of its San Diego State University campus, in a multi-year naming rights and sponsorship transaction with Snapdragon (a suite of chip semiconductor products designed and marketed by Qualcomm Industries Inc.) that makes Snapdragon the exclusive naming rights partner of Snapdragon Stadium and an Official Partner of SDSU Athletics.
- Representing Q2 Holdings in a multi-year naming rights and sponsorship transaction that makes Q2 the exclusive naming rights partner of Q2 Stadium, a multi-purpose soccer-specific stadium in Austin, Texas that is home to MLS’s Austin FC franchise.
- Representing Total Quality Logistics in a multi-year naming rights and sponsorship transaction that makes TQL the exclusive naming rights partner of TQL Stadium, a multi-purpose soccer-specific stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio that is home to MLS’s FC Cincinnati franchise.
- Representing SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park in connection with a groundbreaking 20-year naming rights and sponsorship transaction with SoFi that makes SoFi the exclusive naming rights partner of SoFi Stadium, an Official Partner of the Los Angeles Chargers and the Los Angeles Rams, and an Official Partner of YouTube Theater and the surrounding Hollywood Park entertainment district.
- Representing SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park in a 10-year naming rights transaction and sponsorship transaction with YouTube, which makes YouTube the exclusive naming rights partner of YouTube Theater, a 6,000-seat performance venue at the Hollywood Park sports and entertainment complex, as well as the exclusive video services and music streaming services partner of YouTube Theater, SoFi Stadium, Hollywood Park, and the Rams and Chargers.
- Representing the Miami Heat in connection with numerous advertising and sponsorship agreements related to the team and FTX Arena (including major sponsorship transactions with AT&T, Betway, and BMW, among others).
- Representation of a real estate investment company in connection with numerous private equity transactions involving resort and hotel properties.
- Representation of The Buccini/Pollin Group, Inc. in the debt/equity financings of the historic DuPont Building and Hotel du Pont, a 950,000 sq. ft. mixed-use complex.
- Representation of The Buccini/Pollin Group., Inc. in the debt/equity financing of the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Representation of The Buccini/Pollin Group, Inc. in the debt/equity financing of the Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place in Melbourne, Florida.
- Representation of The Buccini/Pollin Group, Inc. in the debt/equity financing of the Virgin Hotels Nashville in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Representation of the Los Altos School District in the acquisition of a new 11.65-acre school site in Mountain View, California in a transaction valued at over $155M.
- Representation of a real estate developer in connection with Facebook’s lease of a 432,000-square foot, 55-story high-rise building in downtown San Francisco, California, named by the San Francisco Business Times as one of 2017’s “Real Estate Deals of the Year.”
- Representation of a multinational technology company in connection with leasing and subleasing matters for its North American real estate portfolio.
- Representation of a data storage company in connection with the subdivision and sale of a 400,000-square-foot office campus in Sunnyvale, California to Google.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Zak worked as an associate at a large international law firm in San Francisco.
In law school, Zak served as Executive Editor of the California Law Review and as Managing Editor and Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Berkeley Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law Journal.
He has also worked as a legislative aide for Senator Dianne Feinstein in her Washington, DC office and as an extern for the Honorable Judge Jon S. Tigar of the US District Court for the Northern District of California. Before law school, Zak worked for six seasons for the San Francisco Giants as a Clubhouse Assistant.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- Virtual Town Hall with Crypto Developer and Congressional Candidate Matt West, December 6, 2021.
- "Sports Venues Incorporate Communal Engagement Areas," Daily Journal, April 8, 2019.
- “Stage Is Set For Huge Stadium Naming Rights Deal In California,” Law360, February 5, 2016.
Life Beyond the Law
Zak enjoys being active (including biking, playing softball, and snowboarding), volunteering, traveling, woodworking, reading, and attending sporting events and concerts.