Record-High Caseload Shows HKIAC’s Advantages for China-Related Arbitration Disputes
On January 20, 2023, the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) released its statistics for 2022.
HKIAC received 515 new cases last year. Of those cases, 344 were arbitration filings, the highest number in over a decade. The following are some notable statistics:
- 83.1% of all arbitrations submitted to HKIAC in 2022 were international in nature, i.e. at least one party was not from Hong Kong (93.4% of the administered arbitrations commenced in 2022 were international cases);
- 32% of all arbitrations submitted to HKIAC in 2022 involved no Hong Kong parties;
- 5.8% involved no Asian parties;
- 48.3% of all arbitrations submitted to HKIAC in 2022 involved no parties from Mainland China; and
- 17.7% of all arbitrations submitted to HKIAC in 2022 involved neither Hong Kong nor Mainland Chinese parties.
With around 80% of all arbitrations submitted to HKIAC involving Hong Kong or Mainland Chinese parties, the 2022 statistics indicate that HKIAC is demonstrating its advantages as an international seat of arbitration for China-related and international disputes.
To read the complete 2022 Statistics on the HKIAC webpage, click here.
- Related Practices