Annie Chang Lee
Annie is an experienced advisor and health care litigator. She regularly represents hospitals, medical staffs, medical foundations, ambulatory surgery centers, and health plans in matters relating to peer review from start to finish - from the initial recommended action, to the peer review hearing, to the appeal to the governing body, and to the Writ of Mandate in court.
Annie is a frequent speaker at various seminars, and in particular, she is the emerging expert on physician well-being and wellness issues. She presented on physician well-being and burnout at ArentFox Schiff’s Medical Staff Conference in April 2022, and she also presented on this topic to the L.A. County Bar Association’s (LACBA) Health Section in June 2022. In September 2022, she was invited by the Chicago Medical Society and the American Bar Association to speak on a physician well-being panel. In October 2022, Annie spoke at the California Society of Healthcare Attorneys about legal issues surrounding physician well-being and wellness.
Annie regularly counsels clients on NPDB and Business and Professions Code 805 Reports, physician credentialing, peer review hearing procedures, state licensing, Medicare certification, Joint Commission accreditation, and EMTALA (the federal law prohibiting “patient-dumping”). Annie also drafts and revises medical staff bylaws, rules & regulations, and provider services agreements. Annie helps clients respond to Medical Board subpoenas in relation to 805 Reports – she has responded to over one hundred Medical Board subpoenas (and counting).
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Annie worked at a boutique health care law firm in Southern California focusing on complex civil litigation cases involving health care provider contracts and reimbursement issues. Annie represented major health care providers in state and federal civil actions, arbitrations, mediations, and settlement negotiations.
She litigated issues such as the interpretation of California's Knox-Keene Act, ERISA, the federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, the Affordable Care Act, California's Business & Professions Code § 17200, third party liability claims, provider actions under the Hospital Lien Act, the Government Tort Claims Act, as well as general contract and business disputes.
Prior to that, Annie was a post-bar law clerk at the California Attorney General's Office. During law school, Annie was the Executive Editor of the San Diego Law Review, a Legal Writing teaching assistant, and a legal research assistant for law professors. She was also a judicial extern for the Honorable Michael M. Anello in the Southern District of California, and was a law clerk at both the US Attorney's Office in the Southern District of California, and the US Department of State in Washington, DC.
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- National Health Law Program Board of Ambassadors
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- California Society of Health Care Attorneys
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Annie’s articles, publications, presentations, and recognitions include:
- Presenter, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys 2022 Fall Seminar, October 2022
- Presenter, Physicians Legal Issues: Healthcare Delivery & Innovation Conference, September 2022
- Presenter, Los Angeles California Bar Association, “Physician Well-Being and Burnout,” Webinar, June 16, 2022
- Presenter, California Association of Medical Staff Services Long Beach Chapter, Education Conference, October 2020
- “If At First You Don’t Succeed: After Years of Rejection, California Nurse Practitioners Have a Path to Independent Practice,” Health Care Counsel Blog, October 2, 2020, co-authored with Sarah G. Benator and Susanna Murphy
- Presenter, Medical Staff Leaders and the Law Seminar, February 3, 2017 (Costa Mesa, CA)
- Presenter, California Association of Medical Staff Services Long Beach Chapter, 18th Annual Education Conference, October 14, 2016 (Torrance, CA)
- “The Broadening Definition of Elder Abuse," California Healthcare News; October 11, 2016
- Presenter, Medical Staff Leaders and the Law Seminar, February 5, 2016 (Costa Mesa, CA)
- "CMS Finalizes Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) Worksheets," California Healthcare News; January 7, 2016
- Presenter, California Association of Medical Staff Services Long Beach Chapter 17th Annual Education Conference, October 16, 2015 (Torrance, CA)
- The Legal 500 - Health Care: Service Providers
Life Beyond the Law
Annie is an “I Love Lucy” fanatic and loves exploring new places with her two young children and husband. She is a Disneyland Annual Passholder and a self-proclaimed carne asada burrito connoisseur.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
University of San Diego School of Law, JD, (Executive Editor, San Diego Law Review 2012), 2012University of California, Irvine, BA, 2007