Christopher M. Floss
Chris helps clients discern their wealth transfer objectives and implement structures that fit those objectives.
Chris also advises clients in the post-death administration of estates and trusts, and enjoys forming long-term relationships with his clients as a trusted advisor who is available for counsel during life’s transitions.
In addition to his career in private practice, Chris gained experience in the administration of high-net-worth trusts while serving as a senior trust officer of a major national corporate fiduciary.
A prolific writer, Chris founded and manages “Planning Your Future,” a blog that covers tax and estate planning news and trends. As a graduate student in Rome, he served in the United States Air Force Reserve’s Chaplain Candidate Program.
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
Chris is a member of the American Bar Association, Chicago Bar Association, Chicago Estate Planning Council, and University Club of Chicago.
Chris is a former associate board member of Goodcity Chicago. He has presented to several religious and civic organizations regarding estate planning, including the Archdiocese of Chicago.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
“Glancing Back to Look Ahead: 2022 Estate Planning Trends and Their Impact on 2023 Planning,” Estates, Gifts & Trusts Journal (Nov. 10, 2022)
- “The Current Landscape of GRAT Planning,” 47 Tax Mgmt. Ests., Gifts & Trs. J. No. 3 (May 12, 2022)
- “Top Ten Tax Topics of 2021,” Planning Your Future blog (Apr. 15, 2021)
- “Does 3.8% Change Anything? The Intersection of the Net Investment Income Tax and Fiduciary Income Tax,” The Tax Lawyer (Winter 2016)
- "Keeping the Faith in Estate Planning – What Your Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Clients May Want Included in Their Plans," Chicago Estate Planning Council (CEPC) Virtual Workshop (October 27, 2022)
- “Federal Income Taxation of Trusts and Estates,” YLS Estate Planning Committee of the Chicago Bar Association, Chicago, Illinois (October 8, 2019)
- Illinois Rising Star, Illinois Super Lawyers, 2023
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Bankruptcy Law, The Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction (2012)
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges (2000)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- US Tax Court
University of Illinois Chicago School of Law, LLM, Taxation, with honors, 2015University of Illinois Chicago School of Law, JD, 2013University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome, MA, STB, Theology, magna cum laude, 2004Conception Seminary College, BA, Liberal Arts/Philosophy, magna cum laude, 1999