Danielle W. Bulger
Danielle counsels clients on a variety of complex business and intellectual property matters, including with respect to the selection, registration, maintenance, portfolio management, and enforcement of trademarks and copyrights throughout the United States and abroad, as well as the implications of unfair competition and advertising laws, and the First Amendment. She is responsible for spearheading and managing a high volume of disputes and agreements. She often advises clients with respect to issues of first impression and e-commerce, music-related rights, licensing, and media and internet law, frequently helping to analyze and synthesize detailed statutes, cases, and contract provisions. As a brand counselor, Danielle enjoys helping clients navigate new technologies, grow and maintain their brand assets, and develop creative solutions.
Danielle has extensive experience representing major national and international corporations and frequently participates in litigations before the federal district courts and the Trial Appeal Board (TTAB) of the US Patent and Trademark Office. Her practice expands across multiple sectors, thus allowing her to service clients in the fashion, media and technology, food, drug, and beverage, and automotive industries.
Danielle’s experience includes:
- Successfully resolving numerous copyright and trademark claims against multiple major national and international clothing and consumer packaged goods retailers, including claims involving apparel, footwear, toys, product packaging, prints and designs, photographs, mobile applications, and online postings
- Opining on and/or negotiating copyright music licensing matters with various Performance Rights Organizations (PROs)
- Opining on copyright issues concerning music use, web scraping, thumbnails, typeface designs, software, and sculptural works
- Successfully resolving multiple trademark and trade dress disputes for a large foreign automobile manufacturer
- Successfully negotiating trademark settlement terms for a global healthcare company
- Counseling a large retailer in a contentious contractual, trademark licensing dispute, resulting in a favorable outcome
- Producing a high volume of trademark search opinions for new product launches
Prior to coming to ArentFox Schiff, Danielle worked at a large intellectual property firm. There, she advised on the management and enforcement of trademarks, the implications of false advertising, and compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). During her tenure, she and her team prevailed in a large fashion litigation trial. She has also had success before the TTAB, including on summary judgment.
Danielle previously worked in the news and documentary unit of Black Entertainment Television (BET), publishing online daily and covering legal and business issues facing minority-owned companies. While earning her Bachelor's degree, Danielle gained valuable media and marketing experience through positions at the NBC TODAY Show, CBS Evening News, WNBA, and Verizon Wireless.
Danielle served as an ArentFox Schiff summer associate and diversity scholar.
- Member, Women’s Bar Association, 2016 – Present
- Executive Board Member, IP Section, National Bar Association, 2017 – 2022
- Chair and Chair-Elect, IP Section, National Bar Association, 2019 - 2021
- Co-Chair, Diversity In Tech and IP Awards, 2020 - 2021
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Moderator, Exploring the Impact on Copyrightability When Creating New Works Through AI, March 2023
Author, To Infinity and Beyond: California Court Grants Motion to Dismiss Trademark Complaint Against Meta Logo, World Trademark Review Daily, December 2022
Speaker, Continuing Legal Education, "Implications of the Trademark Modernization Act and Recent Trade Dress Law Developments," October 2021
Moderator, Tech and IP Summit, February 2021
Speaker, American Bar Association – Fashion Committee Meeting, “Whose Design is it Anyway: A Discussion Concerning the Protectability of Fashion Designs by Copyright Law,” December 2020.
Speaker, Continuing Legal Education, Demystifying Scenarios Where Common IP Issues May Arise, October 2020
Speaker, Continuing Legal Education, Marketing to Minors, September 2020
Speaker, Continuing Legal Education, Updates in IP Protection for Color and Design, August 2020
- Moderator, National Bar Association – 95th Annual Convention, “Everything Content Creators Need to Know About US Copyright Law,” July 2020
Speaker, National Bar Association – 94th Annual Convention, “Best Practices in Brand Protection, Online Video & Social Media,” July 2019
Speaker, National Bar Association Convention – 94th Annual Convention, “Best Practices in Brand Protection, Online Video & Social Media,” July 2019
Presenter, National Bar Association CLE Webinar, “Navigating Brand Protection in an E-Commerce Driven Marketplace,” June 2019
Panelist, 22nd Annual Sports & Entertainment Law Center Court Conference, Howard University School of Law, March 2019
Speaker, Continuing Legal Education, “Protecting Brand Value and Identity in the E-Commerce Space,” April 2018
Speaker, National Bar Association - 92nd Annual Convention, Branding and IP Rights in Online Video and on Social Media, August 2017
Co-Author, Bloomberg BNA Trademark Infringement Remedies (Treatise), Third Edition, 2017
Co-Author, Bloomberg BNA Trademark Infringement Remedies Cumulative Supplement, 2016; 2015
What Prince Can Teach All Companies About Rebranding, Entreprenuer.com, May 2016
How POM Wonderful Could Change the Landscape of False-Advertising Lawsuits, Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property, April 2014
Leadership Institute for Women of Color Attorneys Scholar, 2015
- Federal Communications Bar Association Scholar, 2014
Life Beyond the Law
As a former resident of Manhattan’s Hell’s Kitchen, Danielle enjoys exploring Washington, D.C.’s emerging food scene, ranging from pop-up restaurants to Michelin-starred establishments.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Maryland Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- New Jersey Bar
Georgetown University Law Center, JDUniversity of Michigan, BA