Dean A. Roy
Dean has experience handling a wide variety of complex real estate transactions, ranging from joint ventures to the purchase and sale of individual properties and multi-state portfolios, including senior living facilities, multi-family apartments, office buildings, retail, and mixed use centers, as well as leasing and development matters involving hotels, offices and industrial properties. Dean also represents clients in financing transactions, particularly in the multi-family, hospitality and senior living space, including acquisition, construction, mezzanine loans and preferred equity arrangements. Dean’s corporate experience includes representing public and private companies ranging from Fortune 500 companies to startups, including acquisitions, mergers, and corporate governance matters.
Recent transactions include:
- Represented a real estate investment company making preferred equity investments in multi-family/mixed-use developments and stabilized properties.
- Represented borrowers of construction and permanent loans from agency lenders and large commercial banks.
- Represented financial services and technology companies as tenants in the leasing of various office and industrial spaces in North America.
- Represented developer in negotiating franchise documents with major hotel brand for two hotels in Hawaii.
- Represented multi-family/hospitality developer in the acquisition and financing (including crowdfunding) of a mixed-use property in Washington, DC.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Dean served in the Office of General Counsel at the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, and worked at an international law firm. Before graduating from law school, Dean worked as an analyst at a global consulting firm and served as an officer in the US Navy.
Dean has represented a wide range of pro bono clients, including assisting immigrants with citizenship and asylum applications and non-profit housing organizations in affordable and fair housing matters.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
"Spaced Out - The Shift Away from Minimum Parking Requirements," The National Law Review (January 2023)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers (2024)
Celebrating ArentFox Schiff’s Veterans: Dean A. Roy on Going From Military Service to Client Service
After completing the ROTC program at the University of Notre Dame, Dean earned his commission upon graduation and joined the US Navy, beginning his military career as an ensign. He served on active duty for four years, ultimately holding the rank of lieutenant upon his discharge.