Jack R. Bierig
Jack has represented numerous clients in government antitrust and health fraud investigations, in actions brought by the US Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, in private antitrust litigation, and in copyright, trademark, and trade secret cases.
Some of the nation’s leading professional associations turn to Jack for his counsel, including the American Medical Association, American Dental Association, American Optometric Association, National Association of REALTORS®, Federation of State Medical Boards, American Board of Medical Specialties, American Academy of Periodontology, American Association of Endodontists, American Veterinary Medical Association, American Health Information Management Association, and Greater Las Vegas Association of REALTORS®. He also advises several medical and dental certifying boards, such as the American Board of Dermatology, American Board of Emergency Medicine, and American Board of Periodontology. He also represents a number of accreditation organizations, including the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, ARC-PA, and CoARC.
Jack teaches courses on health law and food and drug law at the University of Chicago. He is a frequent speaker on antitrust, association law, and health care regulatory issues at industry and university conferences, and has written many articles on these topics.
- Jack has successfully represented the American Medical Association and the American Dental Association in cases challenging the copyright in their works of nomenclature.
- He has won several victories for real estate associations in antitrust challenges to their policies on access to their multiple listing services.
- His clients have prevailed in several high-profile defamation actions.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Jack has written numerous articles for various publications, including Antitrust Health Care Chronicle, The Health Lawyer, Pathologist, American Bar Association Journal, Loyola Law Journal, and the St. Louis University Law Journal. He contributed a chapter, "Antitrust for Physicians," for the Physician’s Survival Guide, jointly published by the American Medical Association and the National Health Lawyers Association.
Jack is a frequent speaker on antitrust, association law, and health care regulatory topics at industry and university conferences.
- Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers (1995-2023)
- Chambers USA, Antitrust (2012-2017, 2019-2021)
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2020-2021)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin’s Illinois Leading Lawyers Network (2021)
- “Lawyer of the Year” Nonprofit/Charities Law, Chicago, Best Lawyers (2019)
- The Legal 500 US, Not-for-Profit (2014-2017)
- BTI Client Service All-Stars, Antitrust (2015)
- Lawyer of the Year – Chicago Health Care, Best Lawyers in America (2011)
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, Member and Former President
- American Society of Association Executives, Legal Section, Member and Former Chair of Legal Section Council
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association, former Member of Board of Governors
Civic & Charitable Memberships
- University of Chicago, Institute for Molecular Engineering, Vice Chair of the Advisory Committee
- Standard Club (Secretary)
- University of Chicago Law School (Health Law and Policy, Food and Drug Law and Policy)
- University of Chicago, Harris School of Public Policy (Health Law and Policy, Food and Drug Law and Policy)
- Center for Conflict Resolution (Founder and Past President)
- Jewish Vocational Service (Past President)
- Selfhelp Home (Board Member)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
Harvard Law School, JD, 1972Brandeis University, AB, History, Phi Beta Kappa, 1968