Luna M. Samman
Luna’s practice focuses on developing and implementing legal strategies for companies in the food & beverage, retail, and technology industries to safeguard and exploit their intellectual property assets around the world. She also advises clients on complex transactional matters including licensing, naming rights, and sponsorship agreements.
Luna brings a business-minded and creative approach when providing strategic IP counseling and opinions and excels at devising cost-effective and successful global trademark protection and enforcement strategies. She is a go-to lawyer for all aspects of brand development, including worldwide trademark, trade dress, and copyright protection and enforcement, the selection and clearance of marks, global advertising campaigns and brand launches, labeling and advertising issues, licensing, and due diligence for corporate acquisitions. Through years of experience in the food & beverage and retail industries, Luna easily understands the needs of her clients and provides tailored and goal-oriented solutions.
Before joining ArentFox Schiff, Luna worked in the Washington, DC office of two nationally recognized law firms. She also served as an adjunct professor teaching trademark and unfair competition at Howard University School of Law.
Luna holds membership in the International Trademark Association.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Luna has written numerous articles and spoken at various events about trademark law, including:
- Co-author, “Protecting Color as a Trademark in the United States” INTA Bulletin, June 15 and July 6, 2022
- Co-author, “A Trademark Overhaul! Amendments to the Canadian Trade-marks Act and Their Effect on U.S. Trademark Owners” Landslide, March-April 2016
- Nomination, “2011 Legal Elite Readers Poll,” SmartCEO
- Speaker, “INTA’s Careers in Trademark Law: A Panel Discussion for Law Students,” INTA, March 25, 2011
- Contributor, “Is Someone Using YOUR Domain Name?” The Business Owner, December 2010
- Co-author, “Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, and Trade Secrets for In-House Counsel, Third Edition,” Provided by the Association of Corporate Counsel, August 2008
- Speaker, “Applying to Register Trademarks with the USPTO,” The ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law – Practical Tips on Intellectual Property Law: Obtaining IP Rights from the US Government, April 9, 2008
- Speaker, “CyberPiracy & Predatory Practices: Protecting the Client Community,” Legal Services National Assistance Technology Project, June 29, 2007 and October 12, 2007
- Speaker, “Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)/Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act of 1999 (ACPA): Dealing with Cyber-Claims,” ALI-ABA – Internet Law for the Practical Lawyer, May 10, 2007
Life Beyond the Law
Luna enjoys spending time with her husband and two sons. She loves to travel internationally and has previously lived in both France and Lebanon. She is fluent in French and conversational in Arabic. Luna is also an avid vocalist, occasionally performing locally with her band.
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- US District Court, District of Maryland
The George Washington University Law School, JD, with honors, 2004Georgetown University, BA, 2001