Matthew B. Mock
He focuses his practice on:
- Energy and environmental litigation
- Complex commercial litigation
- Class action defense
- Antitrust litigation and counseling
Matt has tried numerous cases to verdict around the country involving alleged environmental regulatory violations, environmental crimes, criminal fraud and conspiracy, price fixing, monopolization, breach of contract, and various other complex matters.
His trial victories include a $17 million jury verdict on behalf of a business unit of Newell Rubbermaid. BernzOmatic sued its former supplier for trade dress infringement, breach of contract, and false advertising. After Matt’s closing argument, the jury returned a verdict for BernzOmatic on all counts. The case was a double win: Matt also argued the successful motion for summary judgment that disposed of the supplier’s $22 million counterclaim.
He also represented former Hollinger International General Counsel Mark Kipnis in the highly publicized United States v. Conrad Black honest services fraud case. The ArentFox Schiff trial team won an acquittal at trial on nine of 11 counts, and then appealed his conviction to the U.S. Supreme Court on the remaining two counts. The Supreme Court reversed his conviction, securing a complete victory for Mr. Kipnis.
Matt is lead trial counsel for a public utility in a Clean Air Act enforcement matter brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, with over $3 billion at stake. He successfully defended a similar CAA citizen enforcement action seeking over $2 billion in relief, and achieving a settlement for nuisance value.
In addition, Matt has litigated dozens of complex commercial litigation matters across a diverse range of industries, including pharmaceuticals, banking, commodity trading, private equity, consumer packaged goods, insurance, foodservice, food and beverage distribution, telecommunications, transportation, and renewable energy. He has extensive experience spanning varied subject matters such as fraud, contract, fiduciary duty litigation, patent infringement, government contract bidding disputes, commodity price manipulation, civil rights, employment discrimination, and more.
- Lead trial counsel for a public utility in a Clean Air Act civil enforcement action brought by the U.S. Department of Justice. Won dismissal of $500 million in civil penalties.
- Lead trial counsel for public utility in a $2 billion Clean Air Act citizen enforcement suit brought by a non-governmental organization. Settled for nuisance value after expert reports exchanged.
- Lead trial counsel for global consumer goods manufacturer in dispute over a supply contract. Trial victory and $17 million verdict in a breach of contract, trade dress infringement, and Lanham Act case; also won summary judgment dismissal of a $22 million fraud counterclaim.
- Lead counsel for large public university in ongoing significant breach of contract and class action matters.
- Co-lead counsel for Fortune 10 consumer products manufacturer in nine-figure indemnification dispute. Successfully resolved, significant recovery for client.
- Lead trial counsel for national fast-casual restaurant retailer in patent infringement dispute. Successfully resolved.
- Trial counsel for generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in suit over dry eye treatment. Finding for defense.
- Lead counsel for global packaging manufacturer as claimant in breach of supply contract claim. Significant recovery for client.
- Lead counsel for large public university in First Amendment matter. Successfully resolved.
- Co-lead counsel for federal government agency in eight-figure breach of contract dispute involving financing for distressed real estate. Successfully resolved.
- Trial counsel for CEO of logistics supplier charged with fraud and environmental crimes.
- Trial counsel for a nationwide grocery retailer in a nine-figure antitrust price-fixing class.
- Trial counsel for private equity firm in post-closing dispute regarding consumer products business. Judgment for the defense at trial.
- Co-lead counsel for worldwide market leader in food service equipment. Secured dismissal of eight-figure Lanham Act false advertising claim before discovery was complete.
- Lead counsel for leading consumer battery manufacturer in dispute over wind-down of joint venture.
- Co-lead counsel for global bank in various consumer fraud claims.
- Counsel for nationwide auto insurer defending against putative class action regarding liens placed on settlement checks; won summary judgment dismissal.
- Represent collegiate athletic department in breach of contract action regarding multi-media rights agreement.
- Defended global apparel manufacturer in antitrust challenge to National Football League’s selection of exclusive licensee.
- For several years, Matt has represented a developmentally-disabled elderly gentleman who has repeatedly been threatened with eviction from the federally-subsidized property in Chicago where he has lived for decades.
- Matt is currently appointed pro bono counsel in a Section 1983 excessive force case involving a prison inmate whose finger was nearly amputated by a corrections officer, and who was then denied treatment by medical personnel.
- Matt was appointed pro bono counsel for a plaintiff in a reverse employment discrimination action. He and the ArentFox Schiff team defeated the defendant’s motion for summary judgment and achieved a favorable resolution
- He headed up a successful pro bono criminal appeal to the Seventh Circuit, resulting in the defendant’s sentence being commuted.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- “Recent New York Federal Court Decisions Hold that the ADA Does Not Cover Websites,” (co-author) ArentFox Schiff Product Liability & Mass Torts Blog (Dec. 28, 2021)
- “ADA Website Litigation: Eleventh Circuit Holds Website is Not Subject to Title III,” (co-author) ArentFox Schiff Product Liability & Mass Torts Blog (Jul. 27, 2021)
- “ADA Website Litigation Continues to Proliferate in 2021,” (co-author) ArentFox Schiff Insight (Jun. 2, 2021)
- “California Supreme Court Holds that Cellular Eavesdropping Statute Applies to Businesses,” (co-author) ArentFox Schiff Insight (Apr. 14, 2021)
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2014-2019)
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- Illinois Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US District Court, Central District of Illinois
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- US District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
University of Michigan Law School, JD, cum laude; Michigan Journal of Law Reform, Notes Editor, 2000Binghamton University, BA, 1994