Michael is a registered patent attorney with a background in computer engineering and wireless telecommunications. His practice focuses on IP counseling and global patent portfolio management for high-tech companies. Michael procured over 1,000 patents worldwide in various technologies, including microelectronics, telecommunications, IT, cybersecurity, blockchain, cryptocurrency, AI, and automotive. He provides patent non-infringement and freedom-to-operate legal opinions, and represents clients in patent litigation and IPR proceedings. Michael also counsels clients in patent purchase, sale and licensing transactions, and provides IP due diligence in corporate transactions.
Michael develops and manages global IP portfolios for multinational technology companies:
- Representing world’s leading LCD and OLED display manufacturer based in China in patent filing and prosecution matters in the US.
- Managing global patent and trademark portfolios for a leading antivirus and computer security software developer based in Russia.
- Representing a leading developer of cloud software for backup and disaster recovery based in Europe in patent prosecution and litigation matters in the US and worldwide.
- Representing an international developer of virtualization software in patent prosecution matters in US.
- Representing Chinese electronics and telecommunication equipment manufacturers in patent filing and prosecution matters in the US.
- Representing a European automaker and railroad equipment manufacturer in patent filing and prosecution matters in the US.
Michael also represents companies in technology-related litigations and PGR proceedings:
- Inter Partes Review involving patent for data compression technology Acronis Inc. v. Realtime Data LLC
- Inter Partes Review involving patent for data backup technology Acronis Inc. v. Realtime Data LLC
- Patent infringement case involving data compression technology Realtime Data LLC v. Acronis Inc.
- Patent infringement case involving software activation technology Uniloc USA Inc. v. Acronis Inc.
- Patent infringement case involving software registration technology Uniloc USA Inc. v. Acronis Inc.
- Copyright, trademark and licensing dispute between a software vendor and distributor Kaspersky Lab Inc. v. Tall Licensing Ltd.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Michael was an associate in the New York office of a prominent law firm. He also worked as a patent agent while attending law school.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- "Successful Strategies for Patenting Cutting-Edge Computer and Software Technologies in the US," China Intellectual Property & Innovation Summit 2018 (CISIP), April 2018, Shanghai, China
- "Strategies and Practices for Patenting Information Technologies in the US," Patent School Skolkovo, September 2017, Moscow, Russia
- “Approaches to Registration and Protection of Trademarks in the U.S.” the VI International Forum “Intellectual Property - XXI Century” organized by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation, April 2013, Moscow, Russia
- Recent Developments in the U.S. Patent Practice,” the VI International Forum “Intellectual Property - XXI Century” organized by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation, April 2013, Moscow, Russia
- “Evolution of the Standard of Patentability in the United States,” St. Petersburg’s 10th Annual Collegial Readings on Intellectual Property, June 2010, St. Petersburg, Russia
- “Investment in Russian-Developed IP,” Russia-America: Trade and Investment Cooperation Forum organized by Russian Managers Association, Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation and San Francisco Global Trade Council, June 2008, San Francisco, California
- “Protection and Monetization of Russian-Developed IP in the US,” Russian Venture Forum and Fair organized by Russian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association, October 2006, St. Petersburg, Russia
- “Intellectual Property Protection in the US: Patents and Trademarks,” Gorodissky & Partners’ 4th Annual Seminar on Strategies for Protecting and Managing of Company’s IP, April 2006, Moscow, Russia
- “Analysis of the Interference between IEEE 802.11b and Bluetooth Systems,” IEEE 54th Vehicular Technology Conference, October 2001, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- “Maximizing Performance of a Wireless LAN in the Presence of Bluetooth,” The Third IEEE Workshop on Wireless LANs, September 2001, Newton, Massachusetts
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of Texas
New York Law School, JD, 2005Polytechnic Institute of New York University, MS, Telecommunication Networks, 2001Polytechnic Institute of New York University, BS, cum laude, Computer Engineering, 2001