Michael K. Molzberger
Michael K. Molzberger concentrates his practice on complex commercial litigation, with emphasis on financial markets litigation, trade secrets and employee mobility, and franchise disputes. He has extensive experience both obtaining and resisting preliminary injunctive relief. Michael has successfully represented clients in courtrooms in Illinois and across the country, prevailing before both juries and judges. Michael works tirelessly to fulfill his clients’ goals — whether that means taking a case through trial and appeal or negotiating a favorable settlement.
Michael has been recognized in The Legal 500 United States (2021-2023) guide for his work in trade secrets litigation and was listed in the inaugural edition of U.S. News and World Report’s (2021-2023) Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch.
Between college and law school, Michael was an academic coach for College Possible, a non-profit that assists low-income, underrepresented, and first-generation high school students gain entry to college. Before joining Schiff, Michael conducted his first jury trial with the Bluhm Legal Clinic at the Center for Criminal Defense at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law. He also served as a judicial intern for the Honorable Lynn Adelman in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
- Served as second-chair litigator on a jury trial team that obtained an eight-figure damages verdict in a complex commercial dispute between a distributor and its former supplier.
- Achieved successful results in contempt of court bench trials in employee mobility dispute and supplier-distributor dispute.
- Served as second-chair litigator in a bench trial resulting in a bankruptcy debtors’ case being dismissed for bankruptcy fraud.
- Obtained preliminary injunctive relief in several non-competition and franchise cases.
- Successfully resisted requests for preliminary injunctive relief in a variety of disputes, including franchise, supplier and distributor, and employee mobility.
- Briefed successful appeals before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals regarding financial markets and market structure issues.
- Briefed successful appeal before the Seventh Circuit regarding a franchise dispute.
- Briefed successful motion to dismiss in trade secrets dispute and successfully defended the dismissal before the Illinois First District Appellate Court.
- Argued motions and obtained favorable settlement for client pursuing post-judgment remedies.
- Participated in bench trial involving claims that a tax exemption had been improvidently granted.
- Briefed successful motion for summary judgment for a hospitality client on claims of alleged negligence and punitive damages.
- Obtained favorable settlements for clients in international and domestic arbitrations concerning alleged consumer fraud and breach of contract claims.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, JD, magna cum laude Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property, Note and Comment Editor CALI Award in Evidence, 2014University of Wisconsin, BA, Philosophy, with distinction, 2009