Nicholas M. Tipsord
Nick has represented public and private companies–including management teams and other minority interests–in stock and asset acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, and other complex transactions across a broad range of industries, financial institutions, investment management, healthcare, sports, manufacturing, telecommunications and information technology. Knowing that each transaction is unique, Nick will structure a deal to best meet his client’s needs.
Nick has extensive experience representing privately held companies as outside general counsel. In this role, Nick collaborates with colleagues in the Private Clients, Trusts and Estates Practice Group to draw on the firm’s resources to meet the client’s legal needs, whatever they might be.
Nick is experienced in the formation and governance of all types of entities. Whether starting something new or acquiring something old, Nick focuses on a client’s current practices and future goals to recommend the preferred course of action. With a deep understanding of his clients’ businesses, Nick appreciates how his legal advice will impact their operations.
- Represents Wintrust Financial Corporation (Nasdaq:WTFC), a $32 billion financial holding company, in its acquisition strategy, including the acquisition of over a dozen community bank and specialty finance targets.
- Represents World’s Finest Chocolate, a privately held chocolate manufacturing company, in its acquisition strategy.
- Represents Impact Networking, a business automation and technology solutions company, acting as its outside general counsel.
- Represented several management teams and other minority interests in their equity sales and rollover transactions.
- Represented Snap-on Incorporated (NYSE:SNA), a manufacturer and marketer of tools, equipment, diagnostics, repair information and systems solutions, in the acquisitions of Sweden-based Car-O-Liner Holding AB, Sturtevant Richmont and Norbar Torque Tools.
- Represented Roper Technologies (NYSE:ROP) in the acquisition of BillBlast, an e-billing software, by its Aderant unit.
- Represented TTS Tooltechnic Systems, a privately held company based in Germany, in its acquisition of SawStop.
- Represented Altaris Capital Partners, an investment firm focused on investing in the healthcare industry, in its acquisitions of Analogic, CMP Pharma, and HealthTronics, and its dispositions of Ci Medical Technologies, International Medical Group, and Oso BioPharmaceuticals.
Nick gained valuable experience as a Schiff Hardin summer associate in 2012. He previously served as an intern for U.S. Magistrate Judge David G. Bernthal in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers (2024)