Robert D. Boley
Rob has experience in all phases of litigation, representing clients before trial and appellate state and federal courts around the country, as well as in investigations and enforcement actions by government agencies and self-regulatory organizations. He has extensive experience managing complex discovery and successfully preparing dispositive motions to narrow or end lawsuits before trial, as well as negotiating favorable settlements on behalf of clients.
Before joining ArentFox Schiff, Rob was a litigation associate in the Chicago office of an international law firm.
Rob has devoted considerable time to pro bono work in the areas of civil rights and immigration. His experience includes:
- Representing a Rwandan refugee who was granted asylum on the basis of political persecution she had suffered in her home country.
- Representing current or former inmates in civil rights lawsuits, including at depositions, hearings, and trials.
- Conducting an internal investigation for a non-profit organization into misuse of funds.
- Winning dismissal of all counts in a lawsuit brought in the Eastern District of Tennessee against a large electric utility by local government entities claiming damages of hundreds of millions of dollars in lost tax revenues and costs associated with an environmental cleanup at a power plant.
- Representing a national insurance and financial services company in numerous putative class actions relating to medical bill review issues, including winning summary judgment on consumer protection act claims in Washington state court.
- Obtaining dismissal of all claims in a lawsuit by a former employee of a Michigan-based health system seeking insurance coverage for criminal defense expenses.
- Representing a Fortune 100 manufacturer in multiple lawsuits by regulators and property owners asserting claims under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and state law arising from alleged groundwater contamination from manufacturing facility.
- Defending credit card issuer in class action alleging violations of Truth in Lending Act (TILA) arising from interest and fees charged for cryptocurrency transactions.
- Representing a leading financial technology company in multiple related trade secret misappropriation lawsuits filed against a key competitor, which ultimately resulted in a $44 million trial verdict.
- Representing a global professional services firm in litigation against a competitor and former employees relating to breaches of contractual non-solicitation obligations.
- Representing a Fortune 500 manufacturer in connection with an SEC investigation and related shareholder securities fraud and derivative class actions.
- Representing a Fortune 100 company in an internal investigation involving whistleblower allegations of improper accounting and tax fraud.
- Defending a leading global online travel company and its board of directors in shareholder class actions to block a merger.
- Representing asset managers and a national insurance corporation in SEC investigations relating to allegations of unlawful trading practices.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Robert's publications include:
- "Illinois Supreme Court Holds That Every Unlawful Biometric Scan or Transmission is Separate BIPA Claim," The National Law Review (Feb. 21, 2023)
- "Three Strikes and the EPA’s Scientist Advisory Committees Directive May Be Out," April 29, 2020
- "First Circuit Decision Signals Vulnerability of EPA Directive Limiting Scientist Membership in Advisory Committees," March 31, 2020
Robert's recognitions include:
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Criminal Defense: White-Collar and Commercial Litigation, 2023-2024
- "Schiff Hardin Recognized for Pro Bono Commitment in Michigan," August 21, 2021
- A Lawyer Helps Pro Bono Honor Roll, State Bar of Michigan, 2019, 2020
- "Schiff and Attorneys Named to Michigan Pro Bono Honor Roll for Second Year," October 7, 2020
- "Schiff Hardin and Attorneys Named to State Bar of Michigan Pro Bono Honor Roll," July 17, 2019
Bar & Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar
- Michigan Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
- US District Court, Central District of Illinois
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois
University of Michigan Law School, JD, magna cum laude, 2012Amherst College, BA, 2007