Robert J. Wierenga
He has a wide range of experience in counseling large and small clients on antitrust, intellectual property, and fair trade issues arising under federal, state, and foreign law. He has represented clients in antitrust cases, consumer class actions, and other complex disputes in courts around the country, and has assisted clients who have been contacted by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Canadian Competition Bureau, and the European Commission’s Directorate General for Competition. He also regularly counsels clients involved in litigation or arbitration arising out of complex commercial contracts or partnership agreements.
Bob is the coordinating partner of the firm's Ann Arbor office.
- Tichy v. Hyatt Hotels Corp., et al., (N.D. Ill. 2018) Defending client in antitrust case alleging agreement to restrict advertising.
- Deppe v. NCAA (7th Cir. 2018). Defended NCAA against putative class action challenging transfer rules.
- Encana Oil & Gas v. Zaremba Family Farms (6th Cir. 2018). Defended client against price-fixing and fraud claims.
- Pugh v. NCAA (S.D. Ind. 2016). Defended NCAA against putative class action challenging scholarship and transfer rules.
- Rock v. NCAA (S.D. Ind. 2016). Defended NCAA against putative class action challenging scholarship rules.
- In re Student-Athlete Likeness Litigation (N.D. Cal. 2013). Defended NCAA against putative class action claims for price fixing and group boycott in connection with alleged use of student-athlete likenesses.
- Agnew v. NCAA (7th Circuit 2012). Defended NCAA against putative class action challenging scholarship rules.
- Date v. Sony Electronics, Inc., et al. (E.D. Mich. 2012). Defended clients in putative national class action asserting claims for violation of consumer protection statutes, breach of warranty, and unjust enrichment.
- Warrior Sports, Inc. v. NCAA (6th Cir. 2010). Defended NCAA against antitrust challenge to sports equipment rules.
- Valassis Communications, Inc. v. News America Marketing, et al. (E.D. Mich. 2010). Represented publishing company on claim that defendant violated the Sherman Act and state unfair competition laws by engaging in anticompetitive tying, bundling, and exclusive dealing.
- White v. NCAA (C.D. Cal. 2008). Defended NCAA against putative class action challenging financial aid rules.
- In re NCAA 1-A Walk-On Football Players Litigation (W.D. Wash. 2006). Defended NCAA against putative class action challenging team scholarship rules.
- Metropolitan Intercollegiate Basketball Ass'n v. NCAA (S.D.N.Y. 2005). Defended NCAA against group boycott claim.
- In re Electrical and Mechanical Carbon Antitrust Litigation (D.N.J. 2004). Represented clients against purported class action claims for price-fixing and market division.
- Electrical and Mechanical Carbon and Graphite Products, European Commission Case C.38-359 (2003). Represented clients in proceedings before the European Commission in connection with claims of price-fixing and market division in violation of Article 85 of the E.C. Treaty.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- “The BCS: Antitrust Goes Bowling?” (co-author) GCP Magazine (May 2009)
- “What Happens When Someone Calls a Foul on the Referee?” (co-author) The ABA Trade Association Committee Newsletter (Summer 2007)
- “When Must Competitors Compete? Antitrust, Sports and the 'Trade or Commerce' Requirement,” ABA Antitrust Section Brown Bag Teleconference (Oct. 24, 2008)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers (2019-2024)
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2012-2021)
- Michigan Leading Lawyer, Law Bulletin’s Leading Lawyers Network (2015-2021)
- Who’s Who Legal – Sports & Entertainment, Law Business Research (2016)
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan, Antitrust, Franchise and Trade Regulation Section, Litigation Section
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan Bar
- California Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- US District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
University of Michigan Law School, JD, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1995University of Michigan, BA, 1991