Made in USA
Start to Finish Guidance
ArentFox Schiff is a go-to advisor for companies on strategic business matters. We routinely provide legal guidance to companies wanting to make “Made in USA” claims on product labeling, packaging, and advertising, and to companies wanting to participate in Buy American programs. We take proactive steps to support our clients “Made in USA” claims, which involves a comprehensive and independent, deep-dive evaluation of materials and manufacturing processes that are necessary when certifying US origin.
Given the new Administration’s “Buy American, Hire American” initiatives, ArentFox Schiff is uniquely qualified to provide the most comprehensive guidance available. The firm’s legal and accounting experience, in addition to our comprehensive understanding of consumer and industrial products ranging from household goods to large machinery, as well as transportation equipment and vehicles, uniquely positions the firm to synthesize these disciplines into guidance that can be utilized by manufacturers, distributors, and retailers in support of their “Made in USA” claims.
Who We Counsel
- Manufacturers, importers, and retailers.
- Companies with complex global sourcing arrangements, fluctuating material costs, and sophisticated operations in the US.
- Textile, wool, and fur manufacturers, importers, and retailers on mandatory country of origin labeling requirements.
- Companies in the fragrance, personal care, automotive, chemical, electronics, and machinery industries.
- Companies engaged in multi-country sourcing of raw material, ingredients, components, and subassemblies.
- Companies seeking to supply items to governmental agencies under the Buy American Act and related statutes.
What We Do
- Issue legal opinions to support “Made in USA” claims and advertising.
- Advise on all aspects of “Made in USA” claims, including under the Buy American Act.
- Counsel companies on compliance with California’s “Made in USA” laws.
- Conduct on-site factory visits and audits.
- Identify the sources of raw materials, components, ingredients, parts, and subassemblies.
- Serve as an intermediary between companies and the government.
- Represent companies in “Made in USA” enforcement matters and class actions.
- Provide training for in-house legal, production, and marketing departments.
Overcome the Barriers Facing Your Business
Our legal and accounting experience, in addition to our comprehensive understanding of consumer products, from apparel to heavy industrial equipment, uniquely positions the firm to synthesize these disciplines into an industry certification standard that can be utilized by manufacturers, distributors, and retailers in support of their “Made in USA” claims.