We counsel clients regarding the creation and expansion of their franchise and distribution systems, transactional and regulatory matters, and the negotiation of franchise and management agreements, as well as represent clients in franchise litigation. Given our regulatory and business knowledge on a wide range of franchise issues, we offer services that include establishing and maintaining licensing programs; selecting, using, protecting, and enforcing trademarks and service marks domestically and abroad; selling system assets; acquiring other franchisor-related systems or assets; restructuring licensing relationships with existing franchisees; litigating or resolving disputes; representing clients in regulatory proceedings, investigations, and inquiries; and negotiating franchise and management arrangements for newly-acquired hotel and resort properties.
- Marriott International’s relicensing or amending of 450+ franchise agreements by major franchisees.
- Representation of franchisors in lawsuits and arbitrations, addressing issues like trademark protection, termination, breach of franchise agreements, statutory claims, vicarious liability, and competition issues.
- Representation of large hotel owners (i.e. RLJ Lodging Trust, Capstone Development, and The Buccini/Pollin Group) in negotiating franchise agreements and brand management agreements.
- Representation of national and international food and beverage brands in their expansion into US markets.
- For more information on the firm’s franchise litigation practice, please visit our Complex Litigation – Franchising page.