With a client centered approach, Jessica identifies specific stakeholder interests and finds opportunities for bridge-building. She recognizes that compliance counseling and internal investigations are flow-disruptive for every stakeholder, even when counseling and investigations are essential for organizational integrity. Clients hire and re-hire Jessica specifically because they feel heard, trusted, and well advised.
She has worked with clients to develop and implement best-in-class internal investigation techniques and procedures and has managed internal investigations into serious allegations of wrongful and illegal activity, including concerning insider trading, FCPA, fraud, unfair competition, money laundering, and violations of internal corporate policy. Jessica offers her clients pragmatic advice on compliance risk and improvements to compliance programs. She also frequently helps clients respond to government requests for information, including in merger reviews and criminal investigations.
Jessica’s counseling and investigations practice is built on a solid, 15-year foundation handling substantial complex litigation matters at the trial and appellate levels for both individuals and large companies. She has obtained affirmative relief for both plaintiffs and defendants before juries and judges; has defended those judgments on appeal; and has persuaded appellate courts to reverse or re-center trial court judgments.
- Creatively managed global internal investigation practice, including in-process design and implementation of new investigative procedures to maximize efficiency. Trained investigators on best-in-class investigation techniques. Re-worked case management system design, including reporting to senior management on trends and potential over-the-horizon risks.
- Efficiently responded to government and third-party subpoenas, including representing third-party witnesses in DOJ evidentiary hearing merger challenge.
- Successfully defended vertically integrated, international petroleum company against antitrust and business tort claims brought by dissatisfied leaseholders. Secured dismissal of antitrust claims on summary judgment, obtained jury verdict in leaseholders’ business tort claims, and persuaded federal appellate court to grant judgment as a matter of law on company’s affirmative breach of contract claims, resulting in a judgment.
- Tirelessly pursued damages claims on behalf of Fortune 200 multi-national against non-performing former distributor, leading to multi-million dollar judgment.
- Honorable Virginia M. Morgan, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (2009-2011)
- Honorable Paul D. Borman, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (2008-2009)
- Honorable Patrick J. Duggan, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (2008)
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- State Bar of Michigan
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- A Lawyer Helps Pro Bono Honor Roll, State Bar of Michigan (2019)
- Michigan Women's Edition Rising Star, Thomson Reuters (2015-2016)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Michigan Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court, Western District of Michigan
American University, Washington College of Law, JD, cum laude, 2006University of Michigan, BA, 2003