Ahmed M.T. Riaz
Ahmed practices out of ArentFox Schiff’s New York office at 1185 Avenue of the Americas.
Ahmed's practice includes Hatch-Waxman Paragraph IV disputes and patent troll issues. His transactional practice focuses on negotiating and drafting licensing, commercial supply, clinical trial, and distribution agreements. Ahmed has also counseled start-up and early stage companies looking to grow their business while avoiding costly litigation.
A curious and highly analytical attorney with substantive in-house experience, Ahmed is known for his ability to understand complex technologies and develop effective litigation strategies in view of his clients’ business realities.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Ahmed was in-house counsel for a publicly traded medical device company. In this role, he helped to develop, protect and capitalize on the strategic development of an international intellectual property portfolio and managed multiple litigations. Ahmed also gained extensive experience negotiating and preparing licensing, commercial supply and co-promotion agreements, and importantly gained first-hand knowledge of the business realities that inform business and legal decisions.
- Successfully represented YuppTV USA, Inc., one of the world’s largest internet-based TV and On-demand service providers for South Asian content, in obtaining emergency relief as a third party intervenor in a dispute between Dish Network LLC, et al. and Asia TV USA Ltd. in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. The temporary restraining order barred Asia TV USA Ltd. from terminating its Distribution Agreement or otherwise ceasing transmission of its television channels to our client.
- Successfully represented Fresenius Kabi USA, LLC in obtaining a rare preliminary injunction in federal district court. The injunction barred our client’s competitor from launching a generic version of its patented formulation of levothyroxine, an injectable thyroid hormone. The District Court for the District of New Jersey granted the injunction on the basis that our client was likely to win its patent lawsuit against its competitor.
- Managed litigation strategy for plaintiff in a declaratory judgment action seeking a preliminary injunction as in-house counsel.
- Managed inter partes review strategies as in-house counsel at medical device company.
As in-house counsel, Ahmed’s representative experience included:
- Negotiating and drafting U.S. promotion agreement out licensing drug product for marketing in South Korea on an exclusive basis.
- Negotiating and drafting license agreement out-licensing drug technology to develop over the counter drug product on exclusive basis for North America.
- Negotiating and drafting License, Supply, and Distribution Agreement with generic company out licensing device technology for a drug-device combination product in the United States.
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
Ahmed represents indigent clients seeking asylum in the United States.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- New Jersey Bar
- Pennsylvania Bar
- US Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- US District Court, District of New Jersey
Temple University Beasley School of Law, JD, 2008Hunter College, BA (Econ), 2004