Robert B. Koonin
Rob handles the purchase, sale, financing, leasing, and development of real estate in various sectors, including healthcare, multifamily, senior living, industrial, cannabis, self-storage, hotel, and shopping center. Rob and his colleagues advise lenders and investors at all levels of the capital stack on senior and mezzanine loans, and preferred equity and debt investments, covering a broad range of projects across virtually all asset classes.
Rob and his partners also work closely with professional athletes, sports teams and leagues, handling a wide array of legal matters, including the purchase of majority and minority interests in sports teams, and handling licensing, sponsorship, and branding deals.
- Counsel to multiple national banks in connection with loans to finance the acquisition and/or development of various real estate properties throughout the United States, with a special emphasis on financing healthcare and senior living facilities.
- Represent one of the nation’s largest physical therapy networks, handling all real estate and leasing matters for more than 500 therapy clinics across the United States.
- Advise private equity firm on the purchase of shopping centers in multiple states, including Florida, Illinois, Nevada and New Jersey.
- Represent the buyer of a portfolio of twenty-two senior living facilities in the Midwest, handling the acquisition and related financing of the properties.
- Represent one of New York’s largest hospital systems in connection with the acquisition and related leaseback of a 15-acre campus in Suffolk County, New York.
- Advise a joint venture in the acquisition and related financing of ~ 700,000 square feet of retail and office space in Virginia.
- Counsel to a private family office acquiring over 600,000 square feet of industrial warehouse space in New York City.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Rob was a Partner and Vice-Chair of the Real Estate practice at a major law firm and was previously the Senior Vice President of Legal Affairs at the London-based software company, Metric Gaming.
- Remote Work and Higher Interest Rates Drive Office Defaults Across the United States, The National Law Review, March 23, 2023
- The Active Adult Market: Senior Living, Multifamily, or Both?, Globest.com, March 22, 2023
- The Un-Real Estate Boom: Buying Property in the Metaverse, The Fashion Law.com, April 22, 2022
- Arent Fox Attracts Garfunkel Real Estate Team in New York, New York Law Journal, December 21, 2021
- Co-Authors Robert Koonin and Cynthia Thomas, Ventilation and air quality: Post-pandemic considerations for property owners, New York Real Estate Journal, November 23, 2021
- Co-Authors Robert Koonin and Cynthia Thomas, Look before you lease: Landlord considerations in renting to the cannabis industry, New York Real Estate Journal, June 11, 2021
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association