Andrew M. Banks
Andy practices out of ArentFox Schiff's New York office at 1185 Avenue of the Americas.
Andy advises public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions, stock purchases, asset purchases, spin-offs, tender offers, and proxy solicitations. His practice also focuses on a variety of investment fund formation matters.
Andy has led complex international and US transactions, including negotiating merger agreements, stock and membership interest purchase agreements, limited partnership agreements, operating agreements, joint venture agreements, employment and subscription agreements, and other investment documents.
- Represented one of the world’s largest private equity firms in its $500 million roll-up series of acquisitions of international fashion and design companies and clothing manufacturers, and several add-ons.
- Represented a $30 billion New York-based private equity firm in a $500 million portfolio company acquisition and series of add-ons, and provide ongoing corporate support to the portfolio company.
- Represented a late-stage Silicon Valley semiconductor manufacturer in its $500 million sale to a China-based private equity firm.
- Represented a large US technology company in its $100 million acquisition of a headphone and wireless accessory manufacturer.
- Represented a large US consumer goods manufacturer in its acquisition of an international aviation software company.
- Represented a large health care service provider in its $500 million acquisition by a multinational technology and consulting company.
- Represented a large US-based printed circuit board manufacturer in its divestiture of a business unit comprising four Chinese manufacturing plants to a Chinese consortium.
- Represented an investment consortium in forming esports company New Meta Entertainment Inc., a joint venture between HBSE, the Houston Rockets and a number of third-party minority investors.
- Represented a health care REIT in a $2 billion merger with another healthcare REIT.
- Represented a large US banking corporation in connection with its agreement to acquire an East Coast regional bank for $1.8 billion.
- Represented an airport development and services company in its winning bid for the $4 billion redevelopment and long-term operation of New York LaGuardia Airport.
- Represented the buyer in a $2 billion acquisition of the Carolina Panthers, the largest transaction for an NFL team to date.
- Represented an investment consortium in its $750 million acquisition of substantially all of the assets of one of the United States’ largest owners and operators of long-term health care facilities.
Private Equity and Venture Capital Investment Transactions
- Represented a large US automaker in various private equity and venture capital fund investment, co-investment and direct investment transactions on behalf of its asset management subsidiary and related entities.
- Represented a large Australian pension fund in various private equity fund investment transactions.
- Represented a large Canadian pension fund in various private equity fund investment and coinvestment transactions.
Growth Equity and Minority Investment Transactions
- Represented a Japanese conglomerate in its joint venture and acquisition of minority positions in various international sea food manufacturers and holders of fish farming rights.
- Represented an institutional investor in its acquisition of a minority interest in a holding company owner of an NBA franchise.
- Represented an institutional investor in its acquisition of a minority interest in a holding company owner of an MLS franchise.
- Represented various investors and investment consortiums in acquisitions of esports teams and companies holding esports team assets, expansion franchises and various corporate matters.
Fund Formation Matters
- Represented a large investment fund sponsor in its formation of an $800 million fund focused on growth capital investments in lower middle-market companies.
- Represented a fund manager in its formation of a $100 million fund and acquisitions of several portfolio companies from an institutional investor.
- Represented a mid-market venture capital fund sponsor in its formation of a $1 billion follow-on fund focused on early stage investments.
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- New York City Bar Association, European Affairs Committee, Member
- University of Strathclyde, US Alumni Association, Member
Andy maintains an active pro bono practice counseling mature and newly formed nonprofits in mergers, business combinations, formation, and general corporate matters.
Andy provided teaching support to a class on M&A and sports law at the University of Miami.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
- “Corporate Venture Capital: From Venturing to Partnering,” (chapter co-author) Oxford Handbook of Venture Capital (2012)
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
Duisenberg School of Finance - Amsterdam, Netherlands, LLM, 2010University of Amsterdam Business School, MSc, cum laude, 2009Leiden University – Leiden, Netherlands, LLM, International Law, Leiden Journal of International Law, Assistant Editor, 2002University of Strathclyde – Glasgow, United Kingdom, LLM, 2001