Candace C. Sandoval
Candace counsels hospitals and their medical staffs in peer review investigations, the corrective action process, judicial review and resulting appellate proceedings, as well as privileging and credentialing of physicians and other quality improvement activities.
She also assists clients in responding to subpoenas from the Medical Board of California and fulfilling mandatory reporting obligations with the Medical Board of California and the National Practitioner Data Bank. Candace has experience with medical staff governance, regulatory, and compliance issues, including reviewing bylaws, rules and regulations, and policies.
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Candace was a health care associate at a national law firm, where she primarily served in a role supporting prominent judicial review proceeding hearing officers. Candace also counseled clients in business transactions for ambulatory surgery centers and public financings for California cities, water districts, special districts, joint powers authorities, school districts, and former redevelopment agencies, including drafting various agreements and performing diligence review.
During law school, Candace was a District of Columbia certified student attorney at Georgetown Law’s Social Enterprise and Nonprofit Law Clinic, where she provided entity formation services and counseled nonprofit associations and startup ventures regarding general corporate governance matters and 501(c)(3) tax compliance.
She was a staff member of The Tax Lawyer journal. Candace also spent time as a law clerk with several national law firms as well as with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, where she assisted deputy district attorneys in all phases of vertical prosecutions.
Candace is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Health Lawyers Association, the California Society for Healthcare Attorneys, and the California Minority Counsel Program.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Candace’s articles and publications include:
- "California Extends Postgraduate Training License Deadline from June 30 to August 31 in 2020," Health Care Counsel Blog, May 11, 2020
- "Further California DCA Waivers Broadly Impact Health Licensing Requirements," Health Care Counsel Blog, May 11, 2020
- "California Temporarily Waives Additional Requirements for Pre-Licensure Nursing Programs and Students," Health Care Counsel Blog, May 5, 2020
- Co-author, "California Temporarily Waives Certain Supervision Requirements for PAs, NPs, and CNMs," Health Care Counsel Blog, April 17, 2020
- Co-author, "California Department of Consumer Affairs and California Department of Public Health Issue Limited Licensing Waivers," Health Care Counsel Blog, April 10, 2020
- Co-author, "CMS Announces Prioritization of Survey Activities & Expected Self-Assessments for All Providers and Suppliers," Health Care Counsel Blog, March 26, 2020
- Co-author, "Happy New Year, PAs and Supervising Physicians! Amendments to the California Physician Assistant Practice Act Simplify Supervision Requirements," Health Care Counsel Blog, January 6, 2020
- Co-author, “Long Shadow of Kibler to Be Lengthened Further as California Supreme Court Addresses Application of Anti-SLAPP Statute in Peer Review,” Daily Journal, October 29, 2019
- Co-presenter, “To Report or Not to Report: Medical Board and National Practitioner Data Bank Reporting Requirements,” Orange County Bar Association's Health Care Law Section Meeting, September 12, 2019
Life Beyond the Law
Candace loves ancient Japanese and impressionist art and traveling. Candace is conversant in Spanish.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, 2016University of California, San Diego, BA, cum laude, Highest Honors in Anthropology, 2010