Jeff has been named a “Rising Star” on numerous occasions by Super Lawyers, in both California and New York, for his work in intellectual property litigation at both the trial and appellate court levels.
For over 10 years, Jeff has handled a variety of commercial, intellectual property, and business tort litigation, with an emphasis on patent litigation, in federal district courts, state courts, and federal agencies throughout the U.S., including before the Federal Circuit and Second Circuit Courts of Appeals. As a USPTO registered patent attorney and former software engineer, he blends both his prior industry experience and current legal experience in advising high-tech clients, start-ups, and entrepreneurs on how to protect, enforce, and/or defend against claims over intellectual property rights.
Immediately prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Jeff served as a law clerk to the Honorable Eileen Bransten in the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard B. Lowe, III, in the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court.
While clerking, Jeff drafted decisions on various litigation issues in a range of complex matters, including actions by a programming distributor that sought a preliminary injunction against a broadcast satellite television provider, a non-profit organization that sought to vacate an arbitration award concerning the nationally-recognized Emmy Awards, and insurers seeking a declaratory judgment with significant implications in a contentious and protracted asbestos-related insurance coverage action.
Some of Jeff's notable representative matters include:
- Represented patent owner in asserting patents against global PC manufacturer
- Represented international fashion company in defending against a patent infringement lawsuit by an NPE
- Represented patent owner of digital security and media innovations in monetizing and enforcing patent rights
- Represented distributor-licensee of dental regenerative products in commencing action against manufacturer-licensor for wrongful termination of agreements, seeking damages in excess of $250 million
- Represented computer security solution provider in various matters including litigations and IP counseling
- Represented digital music provider in copyright royalty rate-setting proceeding
- Represented digital music service in copyright infringement action
- Represented digital satellite service provider in copyright royalty rate-setting proceeding
- Represented series of family-owned companies in asserting claims against a managing agent
- Represented company under investigation by the Office of Inspector General
- Represented numerous pro bono clients in a variety of family matters, including divorces and child support awards
- Represented global foods company in securing a preliminary injunction
- Represented reinsurer in two-week arbitration trial
- Advised non-profit in securing intellectual property protection for its assets and brand
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Jeff’s recent publications include:
- "Alice approaches its 3-year anniversary: Uncertainty wanes, but troubling questions linger," Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property, Thomson Reuters, 12 April 2017
- "How The 'Read Factors' Can Help Software Companies Post-Halo," Law360, 12 September 2016.
- “Applying Section 512(c) of the DMCA to Video-Sharing Websites, Bright Ideas,” New York State Bar Association; Fall 2008
- “Patent Securitizations, Patently Bad Idea? Risk/Benefit Approach Reveals Possible Reasons for Lack of Patent Securitizations,” IPL Newsletter American Bar Association, Section of Intellectual Property Law; Fall 2006
Life Beyond the Law
Jeff enjoys playing and (mostly) watching sports, spending time with his wife and two young children, and reading non-fiction. Jeff is a member of the firm’s Diversity and Technology Committees and regularly participates in various organizations committed to promoting diversity.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- California Bar
- US Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
Rutgers School of Law, JD, 2007Santa Clara University, MS, software engineering, 2004University of California, Davis, BS, 2000