Roxanne M. Wilson
Roxanne focuses her practice on employment matters, including the defense of employment class actions, providing advice and counsel, and conducting workplace investigations and auditing. She also has related litigation experience in pharmaceutical and products liability litigation and class action suits involving violations of federal and state consumer credit reporting statutes, Unfair Competition Law, and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Roxanne is also a member of the firm’s Venture Capital & Emerging Businesses Industry Group.
Roxanne defends employers in complex class action suits, including those claiming violations of California and federal wage and hour laws, and misclassification of independent contractors and exempt employees. She has achieved favorable resolution of large class actions seeking pay for training, missed meal and rest break periods, overtime, commissions, and off-the-clock work. She has successfully represented corporate clients in employment litigation involving claims of wrongful termination, sexual harassment, sexual orientation discrimination, race discrimination, age discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, discrimination on the basis of mental and physical disability, violation of wage and hour statutes, violation of family and other employee leave statutes, related intentional tort actions, violation of Sarbanes-Oxley and California whistleblower statutes, and violation of the California Confidentiality and Medical Information Act and breach of privacy.
Advice and Counseling
Roxanne advises major corporations with respect to labor and employment matters, including questions regarding wage and hour issues, exempt employees, drug and alcohol policies, reductions in force, including compliance with the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, absence and sick leave policies, compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act, California Family Rights Act, and employment application processes, including compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Ban the Box statutes and ordinances.
Roxanne also provides employment due diligence advice on numerous corporate and finance transactional matters.
Roxanne has counseled and litigated on behalf of commercial and retail clients regarding accessibility claims by disabled individuals arising from the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Unruh Civil Rights Act and/or the California Disabled Persons Act. She also counsels clients on the removal of barriers and building and design modifications necessary for compliance with accessibility requirements under the ADA, the Accessibility Guidelines from the Department of Justice, and the California Building Codes.
Workplace Investigations and Auditing
Roxanne has conducted high-level, confidential workplace investigations for corporate clients with respect to discrimination, sexual harassment, fraud and theft complaints, providing factual conclusions and constructive recommendations regarding disciplinary action and policy changes. She has also conducted audits for corporate clients to ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations governing the workplace.
Drafting, Training and Speaking
Roxanne drafts national and state employee handbooks and individual employment policies spanning a diverse range of issues, including leaves of absence, trade secret protection, drug-testing programs, and Internet and e-mail policies, in order to ensure compliance with applicable federal and state laws. She develops and conducts training seminars for clients' human resources personnel and in-house counsel and frequently speaks on employment-related topics.
Over her years of litigation, Roxanne has been involved in a number of notable engagements, including:
- Weiss v Lemieux Group LP, USDC CDCA, Case Number: 2:2012cv04585 (2012), secured a dismissal of a putative class action accusing the Pittsburgh Penguins of breaching contracts and violating the TCPA by sending more text messages than fans agreed to receive.
- Gilbert v. First Advantage Corp., USDC, SDCA, Case Number: 3:2009cv01650, obtained summary judgment, incurring a nominal settlement paid by third party bank of class action alleging misrepresentations by credit card enrollment services company to bank credit card customers.
Representative reported cases include:
- Aghmane v. Bank of Am., N.A., (USDC NDCA 2014) Granting partial summary judgment (Co-lead counsel)
- Harris v. Vector Marketing Corp., (USDC NDCA 2010) FLSA collective action certification) (Co-lead counsel)
- Harris, supra, (NDCA 2010) Conditional FLSA collective action certification
- Harris, supra, (USDC NDCA 2009) Summary judgment in wage and hour class action/collective action (Co-lead counsel)
- Trujillo v. First American Registry, (2007) Landmark consumer credit reporting act decision (Co-lead counsel)
Prior to joining ArentFox Schiff, Roxanne was Counsel at a large international law firm.
Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Assistant Vice-President, July 1, 2016–June 30, 2017
- Trustee, 2015–2017
- Executive Committee, 2016 –2017)
- Judicial Appointments Committee, Member, July 1, 2015–present
- Counsel for Justice Board of Directors, Director, 2016–2017
- President's Advisory Committee on Women in Legal Profession, Co-Chair, July 1, 2019–present; Member, 2015–present
- Sponsorship Committee, Co-Chair, 2021–present
- Outstanding Jurist Award Committee, 2020
- Philip H. Lam Diversity Impact Award Committee, 2022
- Member, 1980–Present
American Bar Association
- Member, 1980–Present
Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Drug, Device and Biotechnology Section, Vice-Chair, 2003–2011
- Development & Retention Committee, Vice-Chair, 2006–2009
- Member, 1998–Present
International Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, 1994–Present
Scripps College Board of Trustees
- Chair, 2004–2009
- Trustee, 1997–June 30, 2020; Life Trustee, July 2021–Present
Seaver Institute Board of Directors
- Director, 2005–Present
Association of Governing Boards
- Council of Board Chairs, 2005–2011
Loyola Law School Civil Justice Program
- Board of Directors, 2005–2007
Claremont University Consortium
- Board of Overseers, 2004–2009
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Roxanne has earned an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell. She has also received the Los Angeles County Bar Association Patricia Phillips Outstanding Committee Service Award (2020); Los Angeles County Bar Association Outstanding Trustee Award (2017); Los Angeles County Bar Litigation Section Jim Robie Award for Professionalism and Civility (2016). Roxanne was a Los Angeles County Bar Association Women's History Month Honoree (2022).
Roxanne’s articles and publications include:
- Co-Author, “Hiring ABCs,” Los Angeles Lawyer, June 2021
- "What DOL Worker Classification Rule Means For Employers," Law360
January 11, 2021
- “California Law Governs Offshore Employment Relationships,” Arent Fox Client Alert, December 2020
- “Commission-Only Employees Are Not Exempt from Overtime,” Arent Fox Client Alert, December 2020
Her recent speaking engagements include:
- Moderator, She-Cession: Equity for Women Attorneys in the Private Sector, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, September 28, 2021
- Co-Presenter, Getting the Client in the Door, Los Angeles County Bar Association, September 14, 2021
- Co-Presenter, Allies: Men in the Mix, La Jolla Bar Association, September 2, 2021
- Co-Presenter, Ban the Box: Multi-jurisdictional Compliance and Enforcement Trends, 2018 NAPBS Mid-Year Legislative & Regulatory Conference, April 15 – 17, 2018.
- Presenter, Recognition and Elimination of Bias in the Legal Profession and Society: How Committed Leaders Can Achieve Greater Diversity and Inclusion, 2018 American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Mid-Winter Institute, January 24 – 27, 2018.