Ryan J. Foley
Ryan has extensive experience in insurance and reinsurance matters, as well as in general commercial litigation and trade secrets disputes. He routinely drafts pleadings and briefs, including appellate briefs and dispositive motions, and he has been involved in all aspects of discovery, including e-discovery and written discovery, document review and production, preparing witnesses for deposition, navigating discovery disputes, and vetting witnesses.
While in law school, Ryan served as a judicial intern to the Hon. LaShann DeArcy Hall, US District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and a judicial extern to the Hon. Valerie Caproni, US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Ryan also has significant financial services experience. Before law school, he was a senior associate at an international property and casualty insurer. He also spent several years working in investment banking and private equity.
Ryan’s representative matters include:
- Represented a national professional sports league in insurance coverage litigation related to players’ concussion injury MDL.
- Represented a multinational reinsurance company in an international arbitration.
- Represented policyholders and amicus curiae in multiple insurance coverage disputes related to COVID-19 business interruption losses collectively exceeding $500 million.
- Drafted a successful motion opposing the prevailing party’s application for taxation of costs in an insurance coverage dispute.
- Represented a software company in a misappropriation of trade secrets and tortious interference action.
- Represented an investor group in an action alleging breach of fiduciary duty claims following Chapter 7 liquidation.
Boards, Memberships & Certifications
- New York City Bar Association
- Historical Society of the New York Courts
Pro Bono Work
- Succeeded in upgrading the discharge status to honorable for a black naval veteran who served in the 1940s and was retaliatorily discharged after protesting discriminatory policies.
- Represented a transgendered criminal defendant with a substantial mental health history in having charges dismissed in the interest of justice.
Life Beyond the Law
Outside of work, Ryan’s interests include playing the guitar, traveling, and fitness. He once raised over $400,000 for individuals with disabilities by bicycling 4,000 miles in 63 days from San Francisco to Washington, DC.
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
Brooklyn Law School, JD, 2018Texas Christian University, BBA, cum laude, 2005